Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dpms Hi-rider Upper

BR

I am considering having a rifle built with DPMS's Hi-Rider flattop upper receiver, the one with a built-in 1 7/8 inch riser. It will be used for a tactical div. 3gun rifle, most likely mounted with a low power variable or in the future possibly an ACOG.

Please let me know any recommendations for/against using this upper?

My primary concern is scope mounting, specificaly eye relief and height for cheek weld. I do like the thought of not having to buy both a riser and rings for the scope.

Your thoughts on the Hi-Rider upper, or other alternatives, are appreciated. Gracias,

-brian reynolds

ps- yes I already searched and read all posts related to this topic. Thanks.

Edited by joker22

I am considering having a rifle built with DPMS's Hi-Rider flattop upper receiver, the one with a built-in 1 7/8 inch riser. It will be used for a tactical div. 3gun rifle, most likely mounted with a low power variable or in the future possibly an ACOG.

Please let me know any recommendations for/against using this upper?

My primary concern is scope mounting, specificaly eye relief and height for cheek weld. I do like the thought of not having to buy both a riser and rings for the scope.

Your thoughts on the Hi-Rider upper, or other alternatives, are appreciated. Gracias,

-brian reynolds

ps- yes I already searched and read all posts related to this topic. Thanks.

IMHO, it definitely depends on the scope you want to use. i had a huge objective on a luppy so i went with the hi-rise upper. since then, found no need for the huge objective, went to a trijicon TA21 and had to mount it with low rings. now, going to a co-witnessed set with a 2nd scope (jpoint) mounted on the rail, it's way to high. so i'm going back to a standard low-rise upper. again, depends on the scope.

if you chose to go with an acog, like the JP TA01, the height of the scope throws off the calibration of the ballistics for the stadia lines. b ottom line is it's easier to deal with differewnt ring heights than receivers.

Thank you, sir. So, how does the riser height affect ballistic calibration with the stadia? Are the lines somehow set to work with a specific height upper? Also, how are your sights co-witnessed?

I have simmons pro diamond that I intend to mount initially. Although I have not yet tried an ACOG, I want the option of using a low-power variable like the simmons or perhaps leupold, or of using an ACOG in the future [seems a lot of people like 'em]. I prefer using just one sight set-up for all targets, and thus lean towards using just one variable scope. If the hi-rider upper works well for both variables and ACOG, then that's what I'll go with. If there are height issues, then I will reconsider. I will not be using a large objective, high power scope on this rifle; its for 3gun.

I appreciate any additional input on using the DPMS Hi-Rider upper. Thanks again.

-br

Edited by joker22

Unless you know what you'll end up with, I'd go with a flat top. Lots of options with that route, and lots of knowledge, and lots of offerings.

The stadia are set up assuming a standard height over bore and zeroing technique. Changing that will change the flight path of a bullet. Would be easier to draw in the dirt than it is to describe here.

Otherwise identical rifles zeroed at same distance, the one with a higher optic will have a bullet traveling at a slightly steeper angle. It will travel further above the line of sight (between first and second zero'd distances, and the second zero'd distance will be further out.)

I'm sure the reads about as well as mud, but if you think about the arcing path of the bullet to your zero'd distance assuming different optic heights I think it'll become obvious.

All right, ACOG mounting issues aside, what are opinions of this upper for use with a low power variable? Anyone actually use this upper? Thanks,

-br

Edited by joker22

Make sure you can really try the sight picutre before buying one.

I have a small 1.5x5 scope on my flattop, I thought it was too low, added a rail (http://www.cactustactical.com/ggg/ar15accessories.html), added about 1/2", that seems perfect for me.

I looked at the high-rise, they're a too tall for my tastes

Also let me increase the eye releif, so it was more comfortable for me.

OK, the reason I asked is, based on the sage advice of many on this board, I called Benny Hill for his basic 3gun rifle. He said that he builds them on the Hi-Rider upper, because it does not require a separate riser for the scope. Seems to make sense to me - everything he said made pretty good sense. Plus, it would save me a few bucks in not having buy a riser . I did not know that before I called him, but when I looked on his website both of the ARs pictured had the hi-rider upper with built-in riser, and pictures I've seen of Benny and his rifle show a hi-rider upper.

I frequently see the recommendation to get Benny's basic AR, which comes with the hi-rider upper. But, when I ask about the hi-rider in this post, most of the replies recommend against it. So, which should I get? Benny's basic rifle or a flattop? Does anyone other than Benny use a hi-rider?

I know Benny will build his basic rifle with the regular flattop or lo-pro upper, but he typically builds it on the hi-rider. I just wanted to get some thoughts so that I have a better understanding of subject before I call him up again. Thanks,

-br

If you are going with Benny's optic choice, or something that sits at the right height on it, then the hi-rise is OK. If you want to experiment with optics over the long haul, the std. flat top is way more flexible. The point is that you can always raise something, but with the hi-rise rail, you cannot ever lower anything ;-)

Benny knows his chit. I know him and have shot by him (not With Him, 'cause man...I aint even close...) B)

You will do well to listen VERY carefully to everything he tells you. He has been there, done that.

I choose not to use the high rise upper because my rifle is not a dedicated 3 Gun rifle (or more precisely, it is not dedicated to a low power variable scope). The High Rise upper is perfect for the 3 Gun game with that optic. If you wanna change optics, experiment with different optics, or shoot iron sights...it becomes a real problem.

Benny's rifles are specialized pieces of equipment meant to do one thing really well. Imagine if you bought a custom built car made by an Indy racing team...you might have problems in the drive through at Sonic...

YMMV.

B

All right, ACOG mounting issues aside, what are opinions of this upper for use with a low power variable? Anyone actually use this upper? Thanks,

-br

Here is Zeiss Varipoint 1.1-4x on Hi-Rider. I had chance to try once this hun. Height was ok for me.

Krog.jpg

Tommi

OK her it is! The Hi-Rider is just about perfect for ANY scope OTHERE than the ACOG TA series ( TA-01, TA-31,TA-11, ETC ). The TA series wouls sit too high on the upper and requier a "chin" weld instead of a cheek weld! It is OK with TR series scopes and any other magnifying optic ( not to include Eotec, aimpoint, reflex etc. see above ). As for the "ballistic path" of the TA series being thrown off by the Hi-Rider, I would like to remind people that the TA series, with just a very few exceptions, were designed to be mounted on the carry handle of a standard AR-15/M-16A1, which is higher yet! If you don't plan on running a TA series ACOG I can't think of a better upper for an optic sighted AR. I wish I had one to mount my Meopta Meostar on!! KURTM