Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig mag tube variations

boudreux

9 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I bought some a year ago.  The rest of them are over 3 years old.  I have not used the newer ones yet as I have not had a need. 

Seems strange they are that far off.  

With that said I have not purchased any 21 round mags in over three years.  Maybe the variance is with the mags.

It’s almost certainly the mags. Sig doesn’t care about a few thousands of tolerance. The mags are also made by a couple different manufacturers. 

9 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

It’s almost certainly the mags. Sig doesn’t care about a few thousands of tolerance. The mags are also made by a couple different manufacturers. 

Yea I would almost guarantee it’s the mags 

22 minutes ago, boudreux said:

Yea I would almost guarantee it’s the mags 

+1 on that. They know they are going to sell. Base pad companies know they have to fall within specs. 

eyeballing my tubes, I swear I can see the difference between them. Probably just in my head but I’ll fix them tomorrow and try to measure them beforehand. 

10 minutes ago, echotango said:

I have old and new TTI base pads on all my mags.  None fit the gauge without flattening the wings on the tubes.  They all fit.  No grinding on the feed lips or pads. 

How do you flatten them? 

13 minutes ago, boudreux said:

How do you flatten them? 

Hammer at the end of the tube.  The bend of the wing(part that slides into the base pad) has a very rounded bend.  I use a brass hammer to hammer it and create more a sharp 90* bend.  This will shorten the tube.  I have done 25+ this way to fit the gauge. 

Edited by echotango

10 hours ago, echotango said:

Hammer at the end of the tube.  The bend of the wing(part that slides into the base pad) has a very rounded bend.  I use a brass hammer to hammer it and create more a sharp 90* bend.  This will shorten the tube.  I have done 25+ this way to fit the gauge. 

Did this today. Some took a little more beating than others but I've gotten them all to fit now. Thanks for the help

So I got my EGW mag gauge in.  Is there an "official" was to check the mag?  It seems you put the back of the mag towards the gauge, put the feed lips in first and rotate the mag rearward to make sure the base plate clears.  If so, all of mine, including the stock Sig 21 rounders fit.  

10 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

So I got my EGW mag gauge in.  Is there an "official" was to check the mag?  It seems you put the back of the mag towards the gauge, put the feed lips in first and rotate the mag rearward to make sure the base plate clears.  If so, all of mine, including the stock Sig 21 rounders fit.  

Just make sure the back is touching the top and bottom high spots.  No light between the mag and gauge.  That's it.