Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Stippling

Kjrobbins24

Anyone have any experience stippling grips or other gun accessories? I’ve spend an ungodly amount of time and energy into watching videos on it and it seems like something I’d want to get into.

any recommendations on wood burners? Tips? Any other hidden materials?

Edited by Kjrobbins24

I bought the stippling set from OTDefense and had decent success on a few carry guns on some *very basic* stippling jobs. It seems that to really get good would take more time and energy than I was willing to invest. I practiced some on a few Sig grip modules for practice but it seems I just don’t have a knack for it lol

39 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I bought the stippling set from OTDefense and had decent success on a few carry guns on some *very basic* stippling jobs. It seems that to really get good would take more time and energy than I was willing to invest. I practiced some on a few Sig grip modules for practice but it seems I just don’t have a knack for it lol

it looks interesting and satisfying for sure, but that’s also my concern. If I spend $130 for a set up and realize after a couple tries I either don’t like it/not skilled enough I’d be sitting with a wood burner I won’t use lol

29 minutes ago, Kjrobbins24 said:

it looks interesting and satisfying for sure, but that’s also my concern. If I spend $130 for a set up and realize after a couple tries I either don’t like it/not skilled enough I’d be sitting with a wood burner I won’t use lol

Don't buy the whole kit then.  Just buy a few tips to start out with.  Each one is like 6 - 8 bucks a piece and a soldering iron of enough power is like $20.

Some of my DIY work with what came with the soldering iron an a couple of OT Defense tips.  I like aggressive grips.

P-07 RMR.jpg

P-09.jpg

20221112_150125.jpg

3 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Don't buy the whole kit then.  Just buy a few tips to start out with.  Each one is like 6 - 8 bucks a piece and a soldering iron of enough power is like $20.

Some of my DIY work with what came with the soldering iron an a couple of OT Defense tips.  I like aggressive grips.

Good looking work.

10 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

P-07 RMR.jpg

P-09.jpg

20221112_150125.jpg

I agree, that’s some nice work ya did.

at the risk of sounding stupid, is there any discernible difference between a soldering iron and a wood burner?

2 hours ago, Kjrobbins24 said:

at the risk of sounding stupid, is there any discernible difference between a soldering iron and a wood burner?

I'm not really sure but I don't think there is.  I think all you need to mind is that the thread on the torch is compatible with the tips you buy.

I think all soldering irons/wood burners that are 30 watts or less in power have the same thread as the OTD tips.  A quick call to OT Defense should clear it all up.

I just used a soldering iron I had lying around in my tool box.

Yeah, this is not rocket surgery 🤔

Best to practice on spare plastic pieces. U practiced on magpul magazine clip on covers. Used masking tape to get straight edges. Do outlines first then fill in. If you go too fast tip cools off and impression is not deep enough. Need some ventilation or fumes will be inhaled.

Have a brass brush handy to clean tip periodically so impressions remain sharp.

Mark

15 minutes ago, mpom said:

Yeah, this is not rocket surgery 🤔

Best to practice on spare plastic pieces. U practiced on magpul magazine clip on covers. Used masking tape to get straight edges. Do outlines first then fill in. If you go too fast tip cools off and impression is not deep enough. Need some ventilation or fumes will be inhaled.

Have a brass brush handy to clean tip periodically so impressions remain sharp.

Mark

appreciate the tips Mark!

15 hours ago, Kjrobbins24 said:

appreciate the tips Mark!

One of my most recent examples.  One thing I have noticed is that the plastic composition varies from mfg to mfg and even within model lines from the same company.

Glock's plastic makes the cleanest stippling of what I have tried.  CZ's P-09 and P-07 are easier to stipple than the P-10s.  I'm referring to how easy it is to get a crisp pattern.  Some tips that make sharp patterns on a Glock made a mushy mess on a P-10.

IMG_20210729_154444.jpg

4 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

One of my most recent examples.  One thing I have noticed is that the plastic composition varies from mfg to mfg and even within model lines from the same company.

Glock's plastic makes the cleanest stippling of what I have tried.  CZ's P-09 and P-07 are easier to stipple than the P-10s.  I'm referring to how easy it is to get a crisp pattern.  Some tips that make sharp patterns on a Glock made a mushy mess on a P-10.

IMG_20210729_154444.jpg

That looks super aggressive. About how long did that take you to complete, start to finish?

10 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

IMG_20210729_154444.jpg

"Thorn", my favorite.  Almost as good as a staple gun and super glue.

My solution was to use a good spray paint compatible with the grip material; spray one coat and dust with the sand of your choice while wet, then apply a second coat for aesthetics.  Grips I did this to 15 years ago and have used heavily still look pristine.  Easy to do if the grips are removable, but masking can be used if they're not.