Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bar-Sto barrels hooplahhah

mofosheee

2 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

The wait time is brutal....I had one on order 16 weeks ago...checked in. Another 16 weeks....ugh

It took me about 4 weeks to get a semi-fit for my P320 this year.  I'm tempted to order another, because I know I botched the fitting slightly.  

58 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

It took me about 4 weeks to get a semi-fit for my P320 this year.  I'm tempted to order another, because I know I botched the fitting slightly.  

Yeah I think for 7" barrels like mine, they take a long time getting the material? I dunno

13 hours ago, mofosheee said:

Hello Joe4d

Going into this, I understood that the barrels weren't drop in and that fitting was necessary.  

After that fitting was done, I found the slide to cycle smoothly empty and with dummy rounds I had laying around.

A variety of over-the-counter ammo was used, that plunked and dropped out of the barrel.  

The problem is the rounds never make it into the chamber.

Whata waste

14 hours ago, mofosheee said:

Hello Joe4d

Going into this, I understood that the barrels weren't drop in and that fitting was necessary.  

After that fitting was done, I found the slide to cycle smoothly empty and with dummy rounds I had laying around.

A variety of over-the-counter ammo was used, that plunked and dropped out of the barrel.  

The problem is the rounds never make it into the chamber.

If it is hand cycling with dummy rounds first thing Id do is check the ejection pattern of the fired rounds,, gointo about the same place as rounds fired in the other barrel ? , barrel is probably tight, or not fit all the way basically. Also check out the extractors,, damaged or burred or hitting the barrel ? Haven messed with Glocks much hard to diagnosis without looking at it.

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

If it is hand cycling with dummy rounds first thing Id do is check the ejection pattern of the fired rounds,, gointo about the same place as rounds fired in the other barrel ? , barrel is probably tight, or not fit all the way basically. Also check out the extractors,, damaged or burred or hitting the barrel ? Haven messed with Glocks much hard to diagnosis without looking at it.

Agree, Bar-Sto hand cycled fine with dummy rounds.  Reinstalled the OE Glock barrel and the problem went away. 

Found that the Bar-Sto barrel has noticeable lateral slop / play when in battery while there is ZERO side play

with the Glock barrel in battery.   Bar Sto barrel measures .016 thinner at the breach face than the

Glock.  

It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend the money on an expensive aftermarket barrel if it's not going to be fit to your specific firearm. Any drop-in barrel has to have a hood width and length that's narrow and short enough to accommodate the extreme small end of the spec range.  So, for everyone else, it's less than optimal.  Other critical areas are similarly compromised.  Bar-Sto barrels are excellent quality.  They have button cut rifling (as does KKM), and are extremely reliable, durable and accurate if installed by a competent gunsmith.

5 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend the money on an expensive aftermarket barrel if it's not going to be fit to your specific firearm. Any drop-in barrel has to have a hood width and length that's narrow and short enough to accommodate the extreme small end of the spec range.  So, for everyone else, it's less than optimal.  Other critical areas are similarly compromised.  Bar-Sto barrels are excellent quality.  They have button cut rifling (as does KKM), and are extremely reliable, durable and accurate if installed by a competent gunsmith.

Agree.  Lesson learned.  Must have been an off day at Bar Sto.   As a machinist, I am not at all impressed with the part.  Close examination of this barrel shows rather marginal machine work around every surface of this barrel.