Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Updating shellplate on Dillon RL1100...........

FYI: A test for a bent shoulder bolt...

With the tool head completely raised reach behind the machine and push/pull on the tip of the index lever attempting to rotate it around the axis of the bolt.

There should be no movement; it should feel locked in place.

5 minutes ago, Cuz said:

@HOGRIDER @ddc,

Thanks guys, order placed.

I don't know how anyone finds anything on that website.

:)

Yeah, it's a crazy mass of product options. You really have to know ahead of time exactly what you want.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Cuz said:

@HOGRIDER @ddc,

@Cuz

If you ever had the opportunity to "browse" their catalogue, you could appreciate how well they do with their website!  IIRC, the catalogue has ~3600 pages and looks like the pic attached.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 700,000 products.  98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

👍

McMasterCarr.JPG

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

4 hours ago, Cuz said:

@HOGRIDER @ddc,

That’s why I go to my local Ace hardware to buy replacement parts like shoulder bolts, washers etc.😉

3 hours ago, George16 said:

That’s why I go to my local Ace hardware to buy replacement parts like shoulder bolts, washers etc.😉

👍👍😎

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2022 at 2:28 PM, HOGRIDER said:

As soon as the season is over, I plan on tearing into the RL1100 for a major cleaning; and am definitely wanting to replace the shellplate.  My reason is I've read that Dillon has a V2 of the OEM shellplate that is a bit thicker/beefier than the original I have.  Yes, I realize the original shellplate has been working; however my OCD is kicking in and I definitely want to replace the original with either the upgraded Dillon or aftermarket.

Right now I have been seriously looking at FW Arms new release:  https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/shell-plates/5-plate-for-dillon-super-1050-1100-cp2000-by-f-w-arms-copy/

It's a very nice looking plate that appears to have a lot of built-in improvements that should enhance the operation and function.  And I have plans to automate in the future; but feel a quality, well made shellplate is just a good investment.

Some highlights of FW Arms new plate:  

Would like to hear from other S1050/RL1100 owners that have replaced, or considered replacing, there shellplate and reason(s) why they did/did not.  Also wondering if replacing with a thicker shellplate such as Dillon or aftermarket will require major adjustments to the press along with raising all the dies and resetting to allow for the additional thickness?

Also would like to hear any recommendations on upgrading/replacing the Index Roller Bolt, Index Lever Shoulder Bolt, and Index Lever Spring!  Any/all recommended updates/replacements would be appreciated!

Thanks for any comments!!

I switched to the FW Arms shellplates. I can now get 3000 a hour through my case processor. The dilllon plates kept me at under 2000 a hour. Also decapping on a decapping machine and switching to liquid washing the brass has helped as well

Just now, esquared said:

I switched to the FW Arms shellplates. I can now get 3000 a hour through my case processor. The dilllon plates kept me at under 2000 a hour. Also decapping on a decapping machine and switching to liquid washing the brass has helped as well

I also replaced my dillon case feed plungers with ones from fast friendly brass and that makes a huge difference.