Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Staccato XL in IPSC

bokbok_2020

On 10/28/2022 at 4:51 PM, Bakerjd said:

I get it you are a 40cal relic. But to say it's only because it's nils is false. And we don't have years of data proving major will beat minor. We have years of data showing the top shooters use major. Using minor is an outlier still. I think with in the next couple years we will see more people using minor in limited. For one thing unless you want a 5k gun you really can't get a gun suited for limited. There are plenty of 9mm guns that fit the limited gun bill that can be had right off the shelf. Nobody makes a 40cal that does it. 

It is always amusing when someone attempts to make a personal criticism that they think somehow helps their argument, because of course it never does.  Better yet, when that derogatory comment literally bears no resemblance to reality, it just shows the flaws in their thinking.

Another way of saying that:  I don't even own a .40.  To get a classification in Limited, I had to borrow someone else's gun (and ammo).  Your statement is ridiculous, nonsensical, and literally irrelevant to the topic.

I get that you believe that when more people shoot minor, we'll magically find out that all is equal.  But...it isn't.  We have plenty of actual data from when people shot Major and Minor at the same matches, including people with similar skill levels. And we know perfectly well, based on lots of data points over a long period of time, that in Limited, Major scoring is an advantage over minor.

The rest of your commentary regarding cost and such is irrelevant to the topic.

Nils is an outlier, both in skill, AND in the scores he puts up when shooting on an equal basis with other competitors in a match.  (As someone has said, when he shot Major at SS Nats against other people shooting Major at SS Nats, he destroyed people .)  When shooting at a disadvantage (such as Minor versus other competitors shooting Major), he still managed to win, though not by as much.

Another way of showing it:  At 2022 Lim Nats, he was forced to shoot close to 8% more A-hits than the next highest competitor, while ALSO shooting the match 6 seconds faster.   So he had to be more accurate, AND faster.  And yet, the nearest three competitors still earned a higher percentage of the points possible than he did, even though he had fewer C and D hits than all of them.  Shooting it faster made the difference---but it wasn't much faster, so he barely won.

Does anyone think that Nils would have shot it SLOWER with a Limited Major gun?  I doubt it.    Would his points have been better?  Obviously, because that's what Major gives you.