Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Staccato XL in IPSC

bokbok_2020

4 hours ago, bokbok_2020 said:

I think the Staccato XL is their competition model for USPSA Limited Division and not for IPSC standard div. I think....

Staccato does not have a competition model. They stuck a knife in the competitive worlds back when they went to be timmies and started chasing gov contracts. That’s why they want the divisions to change to allow their guns now 

45 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

Staccato does not have a competition model. They stuck a knife in the competitive worlds back when they went to be timmies and started chasing gov contracts. That’s why they want the divisions to change to allow their guns now 

Well, they do or at least did make the xl in  40 cal. Which would make a pretty solid limited gun. I found one for sale, but I don't see the 40 caliber listed on their website anymore so I'm not sure 

Edited to add: I was going to call them and ask them if they still made a 40, but the amount of tactical Timmy coming through the phone was driving me insane after about 2 minutes of being on hold. So I don't know if they still make it or not still LOL 

I think I would spend my three grand plus somewhere else 🤣🤣

Edited by RJH

9 hours ago, Nathanb said:

It is advertised on their website "Staccato XL is the perfect match for range and competition shooters looking to shoot their personal best. The Staccato XL has the weight, speed, and accuracy to turn heads. Extremely fun to shoot and target ready, this pistol has a light, fast-cycling slide and a long sight radius." 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 10:23 AM, RJH said:

Well, they do or at least did make the xl in  40 cal. Which would make a pretty solid limited gun. I found one for sale, but I don't see the 40 caliber listed on their website anymore so I'm not sure 

Edited to add: I was going to call them and ask them if they still made a 40, but the amount of tactical Timmy coming through the phone was driving me insane after about 2 minutes of being on hold. So I don't know if they still make it or not still LOL 

I think I would spend my three grand plus somewhere else 🤣🤣

Save the extra $ and get an Atlas if you want a 40 for Limited. (Titan v2)

On 9/27/2022 at 10:23 AM, RJH said:

looking on their website, 9mm is the only option showing. so perhaps they stopped .40 as there are some XL's at various sellers in .40.  the xl does seem pretty overpriced compared to the sti Edges of the not-too distant past, and even their current P.

3 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Nationals would tend to disagree with you. 

Not sure I’m following. If we’re using nils as an example he’s really an exception. There isn’t many people on the planet who shoot at that level. 

From a data analysis perspective it’s considered an anomalous data point and it makes it even more impressive that he did it. 

5 hours ago, Nathanb said:

Not sure I’m following. If we’re using nils as an example he’s really an exception. There isn’t many people on the planet who shoot at that level. 

From a data analysis perspective it’s considered an anomalous data point and it makes it even more impressive that he did it. 

Nils won overall with minor. And Justine Williams won high lady with minor. 

Statisticly it's an anomaly and will stay that way unless more shooters go to minor. Currently it's an anomaly that someone shoots a major match in a major PF division using minor PF. What will be interesting is if the normal shooters see Nils results and decide to emulate him with minor PF. 

32 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

Statisticly it's an anomaly and will stay that way unless more shooters go to minor. Currently it's an anomaly that someone shoots a major match in a major PF division using minor PF. What will be interesting is if the normal shooters see Nils results and decide to emulate him with minor PF. 

normal shooters who are good at math have seen how much nils beats them by when they are on equal footing (like at classic nats). It is no surprise that he can still beat them when giving up the advantage of major scoring but no one else is going to want to give up that advantage. it will definitely make your scores lower. nils only does it due to contractual obligations.

19 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Nils won overall with minor. And Justine Williams won high lady with minor. 

JALISE WIlliams won High Lady shooting minor---and got 36th in the division.  How much she beat the other ladies shooting isn't relevant, given the obvious skill difference, and with no comparison of her skill/finish shooting Minor versus major, that doesn't tell us anything at all.

Nils, statistically speaking, is an anomaly in Minor.  Saying "statistically, minor is an anomaly" is true, and yet ignores the actual situation.  Given the fact that we know Nils can shoot a certain level compared to others, it means that when he shoots Minor and beats people it tells us nothing about the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of Minor.

Your response ignores the fact that statistically, we already have years of data showing that in Major vs Minor, there IS an advantage to shooting Major.  The fact that Nils can win despite that is a testament to his skill....and says nothing about the Major vs Minor debate.  It merely shows that Nils is a statistical anomaly that doesn't tell us anything about the situation.

48 minutes ago, Thomas H said:

Your response ignores the fact that statistically, we already have years of data showing that in Major vs Minor, there IS an advantage to shooting Major.  The fact that Nils can win despite that is a testament to his skill....and says nothing about the Major vs Minor debate.  It merely shows that Nils is a statistical anomaly that doesn't tell us anything about the situation.

i think it *does* actually say a little about the major/minor debate, because when nils shot major at classic nats, he crushed everyone's balls. Only 1 other shooter was within 10% !!!!!  Being that much better than everyone, he could have shot 8-round minor and still won, just by less.

3 hours ago, Thomas H said:

JALISE WIlliams won High Lady shooting minor---and got 36th in the division.  How much she beat the other ladies shooting isn't relevant, given the obvious skill difference, and with no comparison of her skill/finish shooting Minor versus major, that doesn't tell us anything at all.

Nils, statistically speaking, is an anomaly in Minor.  Saying "statistically, minor is an anomaly" is true, and yet ignores the actual situation.  Given the fact that we know Nils can shoot a certain level compared to others, it means that when he shoots Minor and beats people it tells us nothing about the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of Minor.

I get it you are a 40cal relic. But to say it's only because it's nils is false. And we don't have years of data proving major will beat minor. We have years of data showing the top shooters use major. Using minor is an outlier still. I think with in the next couple years we will see more people using minor in limited. For one thing unless you want a 5k gun you really can't get a gun suited for limited. There are plenty of 9mm guns that fit the limited gun bill that can be had right off the shelf. Nobody makes a 40cal that does it. 

29 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

I get it you are a 40cal relic. But to say it's only because it's nils is false. And we don't have years of data proving major will beat minor. We have years of data showing the top shooters use major. Using minor is an outlier still. I think with in the next couple years we will see more people using minor in limited. 

You won't see anyone who wants to win using minor in limited unless they are under contractual obligation to shoot a particular gun (like nils is). That's why nils wisely chose major for SS nats, when he wasn't forced to shoot the Canik, and absolutely destroyed everyone. OTOH, if he shoots minor, the same shooters can come much closer to him, because minor is worse. period.

Unless you are a real weakling who absolutely sucks at reloads, minor has zero advantage except cost. You can't shoot any faster (unless you are a weakling or disabled), and the extra 3 rounds in a mag pretty much never makes a difference, especially for people who practice reloading and have magwells.

Edited by motosapiens

7 minutes ago, echotango said:

He doesn't shoot for Glock........

I was more pointing out that you could get into an off the shelf 40 cal limited gun that works for less than five grand