Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Amazing matches…… after no practice

mach1soldier

Anyone else notice they shoot amazing matches after month long breaks from shooting / practice?

it seems to be a theme for me. Guessing it’s the no expectations mindset. I also notice very little conscious thought the entire day related to shooting. 

Anyone else do well after long breaks?

I think it helps cut out a lot of the meaningless mental chatter-- 'I need to have more weight on this foot, I should be doing this, I should be doing that' if you go away for a while.

Long time ago I took a year off shooting to go rock climbing instead.  Won the first match (a local) after I came back... Not really a recommendation for long-term success but worth trying every now and then.

11 hours ago, shred said:

I think it helps cut out a lot of the meaningless mental chatter-- 'I need to have more weight on this foot, I should be doing this, I should be doing that' if you go away for a while.

Long time ago I took a year off shooting to go rock climbing instead.  Won the first match (a local) after I came back... Not really a recommendation for long-term success but worth trying every now and then.

This has been my experience and reasoning as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 11:47 AM, mach1soldier said:

Anyone else notice they shoot amazing matches after month long breaks from shooting / practice?

it seems to be a theme for me. Guessing it’s the no expectations mindset. I also notice very little conscious thought the entire day related to shooting. 

Anyone else do well after long breaks?

Definitley the no expectations mindset, but also because you're relaxed and you're using your core fundamentals and not thinking too much. I use to not drink before match days but my friends encouraged me to do so since it relaxes you and you stop thinking so much about what you're doing and should just do. 

• 11 months later...