Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anyone here using a ghost holster with their TSO?

Obvious

Going to be picking up my TSO in the next day or two and am having to prepare basically an entire new setup for it. I wasn't too impressed with my last RHT holster and have heard really great things about the ghost holsters. I'm heavily considering the one S, however I'm trying to figure out if I can use my current BOSS holster hanger for it. Anyone here have any info? Or suggestions? 

2 hours ago, moose97 said:

I have the Ghost Hydra. The One has its own included hanger. I don't see how it would be compatible with the BOSS. They're completely different systems. 

That’s what I was afraid of. Looks like it’s own proprietary adjustment/hanger. I’ll probably just have to suck it up and buy an entire new rig. 

8 hours ago, Obvious said:

Going to be picking up my TSO in the next day or two and am having to prepare basically an entire new setup for it. I wasn't too impressed with my last RHT holster and have heard really great things about the ghost holsters. I'm heavily considering the one S, however I'm trying to figure out if I can use my current BOSS holster hanger for it. Anyone here have any info? Or suggestions? 

what did you not like about the RHT? Are you planning on using the thumb rest for the TSO or no? does ghost offer that?

Edited by Guitarmageddon

1 hour ago, Guitarmageddon said:

what did you not like about the RHT? Are you planning on using the thumb rest for the TSO or no? does ghost offer that?

I have a RIA double stack 1911 that RHT made a holster for. Now to be fair, they were the only company that made a holster for this particular gun at the time. But the retention isn’t the best, there’s no positive click at all. It’s just like a friction fit, and I’m not a fan of that feeling. Other than that, I don’t particularly think the craftsmanship warrants the price. It’s not a bad holster, but it just feels like your run of the mill amazon holster for $25, but now with two layers of kydex. A lot of this is subjective, but for ~$100 I was expecting something nicer. It was functional, but did not live up to the hype. I do plan on using the thumb rest, and as far as I can tell the ghost holster is essentially an open bodied race holster and shouldn’t have a problem with it. 

Just now, Obvious said:

I have a RIA double stack 1911 that RHT made a holster for. Now to be fair, they were the only company that made a holster for this particular gun at the time. But the retention isn’t the best, there’s no positive click at all. It’s just like a friction fit, and I’m not a fan of that feeling. Other than that, I don’t particularly think the craftsmanship warrants the price. It’s not a bad holster, but it just feels like your run of the mill amazon holster for $25, but now with two layers of kydex. A lot of this is subjective, but for ~$100 I was expecting something nicer. It was functional, but did not live up to the hype. I do plan on using the thumb rest, and as far as I can tell the ghost holster is essentially an open bodied race holster and shouldn’t have a problem with it. 

Yea I can see that. The RHT is basically a gun bucket. I dont feel super at ease during my walkthrough or ROing someone. I want the gx vice eventually, but, just dont feel like waiting. Ive dabbled with my race master holster too, but im not 100% sold on the race holster yet. I use it for my revolver but recently bought the insert for the TSO.

1 minute ago, Guitarmageddon said:

Yea I can see that. The RHT is basically a gun bucket. I dont feel super at ease during my walkthrough or ROing someone. I want the gx vice eventually, but, just dont feel like waiting. Ive dabbled with my race master holster too, but im not 100% sold on the race holster yet. I use it for my revolver but recently bought the insert for the TSO.

I’ve never used this race style holster before, but it looks promising so I think I’m gonna give it a shot. It’s appealing that it can be locked closed easily when you’re not getting ready to shoot. 

1 minute ago, Obvious said:

I’ve never used this race style holster before, but it looks promising so I think I’m gonna give it a shot. It’s appealing that it can be locked closed easily when you’re not getting ready to shoot. 

When you do, post your thoughts. it kind of takes the place of a decent kydex plus an articulating hanger, which there are very few choices for. I think the henning t1000 and the gx vice would be a killer setup. Im currently on the boss and a RHT.

15 minutes ago, Guitarmageddon said:

When you do, post your thoughts. it kind of takes the place of a decent kydex plus an articulating hanger, which there are very few choices for. I think the henning t1000 and the gx vice would be a killer setup. Im currently on the boss and a RHT.

I’m rocking the same setup now but with a knockoff 2011 lol. I’m curious why many people don’t use the ghost holsters, are they just new? Are there better options?

42 minutes ago, CClassForLife said:

Since you're shooting Limited, probably best just to rock a race holster. You'll be using the lock functionality with either option.

That was my thoughts. Plus avoiding the month+ lead time of a custom holster, and possibly being able to replace inserts if they get chewed up over time. Gonna try to look for more comparisons of them later and get it ordered on Monday. 

I have the ghost one.  It's a race holster.  Comes with a barrel support and locks securely.  I have ROed matches and never felt like it would fall off.  

Another holster to look at is the CR Speed compact or Ultra race holster.

My wife uses the compact for her Czechmate.   She likes it a lot.  I think the locking mechanism is less likely to get bumped unlock compared to the Ghost One.

8 minutes ago, sandflea316 said:

I have the ghost one.  It's a race holster.  Comes with a barrel support and locks securely.  I have ROed matches and never felt like it would fall off.  

Another holster to look at is the CR Speed compact or Ultra race holster.

My wife uses the compact for her Czechmate.   She likes it a lot.  I think the locking mechanism is less likely to get bumped unlock compared to the Ghost One.

Just took a look at them. Looks solid but not quite as adjustable at the ghost holster with its hanger. Guess I’ll have to watch some videos on them later today. 

14 hours ago, Obvious said:

That’s what I was afraid of. Looks like it’s own proprietary adjustment/hanger. I’ll probably just have to suck it up and buy an entire new rig. 

There are options for keeping the BOSS if you want, but by reading the rest of your replies, I don't think any would be what you want. Understand that the BOSS is great for what it's designed for, but it's no race holster system. Do your research and pick the race holster you think you'll like. Save the BOSS for when you shoot Production or CO.

22 hours ago, Obvious said:

I have a ghost one eve for my TSO. It's great- dont hesitate to buy. If you want to save 40 bucks or so on the hanger I use a 3d printed drop/offset that works with a tek-lok I'll send you the file for. 

2 minutes ago, CC3D said:

I have a ghost one eve for my TSO. It's great- dont hesitate to buy. If you want to save 40 bucks or so on the hanger I use a 3d printed drop/offset that works with a tek-lok I'll send you the file for. 

I’m thinking of the one S to avoid the ball bearing rubbing the finish off. And will definitely reach out for those files! All the reviews I’ve seen have said it’s an amazing system, and has gotten even better since they’ve swapped to using aluminum more than polymer. 

5 hours ago, Obvious said:

the ball bearing rubbing the finish off.

I do have wear on my finish from using "the one evo"- but "the one s" has the same mechanism as "the one evo", they only differ with the color pattern. The "ultimate evo" has a different mechanism (more of a polished ball) that may be easier on your finish, but that would be pure speculation. I think these style of holsters tend to just wear on that area of your trigger guard- but purely a cosmetic difference

44 minutes ago, CC3D said:

I do have wear on my finish from using "the one evo"- but "the one s" has the same mechanism as "the one evo", they only differ with the color pattern. The "ultimate evo" has a different mechanism (more of a polished ball) that may be easier on your finish, but that would be pure speculation. I think these style of holsters tend to just wear on that area of your trigger guard- but purely a cosmetic difference

ahhh appreciate the clarification. Maybe it was one of their older models that didn't use the ball bearing. The way thehumblemarksman made it sound was like they used different capture methods. I'll have to look into it more. 

1 minute ago, Obvious said:

ahhh appreciate the clarification. Maybe it was one of their older models that didn't use the ball bearing. The way thehumblemarksman made it sound was like they used different capture methods. I'll have to look into it more. 

Put simply the ones that have the muzzle support have one version, the one without it has another. Pretty sure both will wear on your finish eventually- still worth it over kydex. 

7 hours ago, CC3D said:

Put simply the ones that have the muzzle support have one version, the one without it has another. Pretty sure both will wear on your finish eventually- still worth it over kydex. 

A properly designed holster should not cause damage to the finish of the gun , even if you tried to draw  the gun from locked holster .

On 8/30/2022 at 1:45 AM, yigal said:

A properly designed holster should not cause damage to the finish of the gun , even if you tried to draw  the gun from locked holster .

I don't think anyone said anything about damage. Using something with regularity causes wear. Pretty simple concept. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 3:01 PM, CC3D said:

I just wanted to update this thread for anyone that's also curious. I ordered the "Ghost One S" holster directly from ghost and it came with a polymer block that sits on top of the ball bearing for a release mechanism. So the bearing itself isn't contacting the trigger guard, the polymer block is. Seems like a super nice holster, very solid. Although I did add some spacers to push it a bit further out, and the holster hanger itself isnt the best. It's sitting at angle/bent on the belt just from tightening it down enough. 

20 hours ago, Obvious said:

and the holster hanger itself isnt the best.

Yeah i’d heard that as well, ended up just ordering the body and printed my own hanger- worked well for a year but now using a boss hanger which is much more sturdy than the ghost. 

Boss hanger requires some fitting for use with the ghost