Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Convince me

DWLS

I'm thinking of switching from my 1911 to a Glock. I'm a Limited GM. (I'm one of those non-competitive GMs.)

Do any Glock shooters feel held back by not shooting a 1911? Been beaten often enough by Dean and Erickson to know that it's the shooter, not the gun, just having a hard time making the switch.

The Glock can do anything a 1911 can do. Splits down to .13? Done. Great accuracy at any distance? Done. Gun that nearly never malfunctions? Done.

That being said, I recently switched to a G35 from a Beretta and absolutely love the new gun. Give it a shot (pun intended). If you don't like it, you can always go back.

I just bought my first Glock in December.

Glock's are good

Glock's never fail

Glock's are good

Glock's never miss

Glock's are good

Glock's are the ultimate

Glock's are good

Glock's are good

Glock's are good

Glock's never jam

Glock's always work

Glock's are good

Glock's are good

Glock's are good

Oh sorry that was the chip they implanted in me when I bought it. They are good, its the shooter, but for me nothing beats a 1911. I probably never sell the Glock though.

DWLS,

I have some tough question that you might want to ask yourself.  (please don't take them harshly...I don't know you from Adam...nothing implied)

Why do you want to switch?  Have you hit a ceiling?  Looking to change something to move up?  Is equipment the answer?

What is wrong with your current platform?  Too easy to shoot (no challenge)?  Too expensive?  Can't count on it?

Bored?  Like a challenge?  Hate working on guns?

I don't know if there are any right/wrong answers, but before switching, I know I 'd want to ask myself questions along those lines...I'd try to dig deep and figure out my motivation.  After all...this is important.  Switching shooting platforms is not like some trivial thing...like buying a car or a house.  ;)

Anyway...

At your level, you are probably used to putting rounds downrange.  That is good, because switching to a Glock will take some work.  The 40 Glocks can be pretty lively.  The fast slits don't come as ease as with an extended dustcover, bull-barrel, tugsten rodded...1911.  

The natural point of aim will be different with the Glock too...especially if coming from a flat MSH.

Reloads may be tougher if you ae used to throwing in tuned STI mags into a big hole.

With the Glock...the gun is capable.  But, it isn't going to do the work (like some of those easier ;) platforms).  It's all up to the shooter.

But...if you want to take up the challenge of shooting from a well-honed grip and stance(for those splits)...putting in enough practice to make the POA natural...working those reloads...well...there is nothing like winning a match with what those that don't "get it" consider "inferior equipment".

Then there is the other option...they are cheap.  Buy one.  Try it.  If you don't like it, sell it.  Low cost experiment.

No offense taken, flex!

My 1911 experience has been a never ending non-stop rocket powered ride of frustration....gun problems have never plagued me at a big match, but (for example) I spent two hours practicing the other day...half of that spent trying to figure out why my gun was doing "that."

The result is that my "pleasure" activity has become a source of stress. I started IPSC with a Glock, and spent a good portion of my career carrying a Glock as a duty gun. I like the idea of having a gun that will no longer have hammer follow, halfcock problems, broken bo-Mar sights, etc. It just seems so.....stress free.

As the up and comers in my area get rid of their Glocks for 2011-style guns, I feel odd switching "down" to a Glock. I just don't see how it could hold a shooter back....most of us (expecially me) don't shoot to the limits of their gun.

I would rather sell my house than switch platforms!

just came from the range where 6 inchs of hard snow was on the ground. we've got 5 stages set up and the high for tommrow will be 20. the last thing i want to worry about is my gun and loads. thats one of the many reasons i shoot glock. i don't think i just do.