Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultrasonic brass cleaning increases ES and SD?

Cnickolas

19 hours ago, SnipTheDog said:

Sounds like malarkey.  I'd think that wet tumbling with Dawn and stainless steel pins would get the cases cleaner inside and out.

That was my initial thought as well but only change in reloading process was ultrasonic cleaning instead of tumbling in corn cob medium. 

29 minutes ago, Cnickolas said:

That was my initial thought as well but only change in reloading process was ultrasonic cleaning instead of tumbling in corn cob medium. 

I could see it if the cases weren’t completely dry. Should be better because of more consistent neck tension from being really clean. 

I can't say I've tested this in pistol rounds, but it is indeed correct in rifle reloading.  I consistently get more lower SD, ES, and most importantly accuracy when I don't clean my brass. 

For rifles I've found that purposely lubing the inside of the case neck gives better results than not lubing.  You'll want to use graphite, moly, or One Shot.

Brass can be too clean. It causes it to stick on the expander funnel and really make the press rough to run. If you want to se for yourself buy some new Starline and run it through the press. 

I wet cleaned brass with Dawn and no pins for one years.. It works but its to freaking much trouble. I have returned to vibrating in corn cob. I actually got back to the vibrator because of loading Starline for Major. Didn't take long to return to the vibrator for range brass also.

Super clean brass has no upside and leads to the sticking problem. 

6 hours ago, Brooke said:

Brass can be too clean. It causes it to stick on the expander funnel and really make the press rough to run. If you want to se for yourself buy some new Starline and run it through the press.  

Part of the new brass sticking is due to the small burr on the mouths from manufacturing. All the Starline that I’ve gotten has a light film of lube on it, I believe to keep it from tarnishing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2022 at 6:10 PM, John Whidden said:

I can't say I've tested this in pistol rounds, but it is indeed correct in rifle reloading.  I consistently get more lower SD, ES, and most importantly accuracy when I don't clean my brass. 

For rifles I've found that purposely lubing the inside of the case neck gives better results than not lubing.  You'll want to use graphite, moly, or One Shot.

Thank you for this. 

Which inside neck lube is easiest to apply?  

Hornady One Shot is easiest to apply because it's an aerosol.  It works because it is a wax and won't get sticky like the lanolin lubes will.  The lanolin lubes will stick the bullet to the case a little bit which will give inconsistent neck tension leading to increased velocity spreads.