Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock "thumb ledge" - CO legal?

thegeneric

Given that the nitro fin for the CZ Shadow 2 and the various slide release thumb ledges for the p320 are both CO legal, is it safe to assume that these following products would be legal on a Glock for CO (since they "replace" the trigger pin)?

https://www.tecperformance.com/home/gun-parts/glock-thumb-grip/

Or this:

https://stores.sjcguns.com/sjc-glock-thumb-rest-dowel-type/

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Edited by thegeneric

Maybe.   The Cz, P320 etc thumb rests are a replacement slide stop or takedown lever.

The Glock one you are asking about appears to be on the trigger pin---and pins are on

the list. Interesting that "takedown lever" is not----

Exchange of minor EXTERNAL

components

Sights, firing pins, firing pin

retainers, pins,

extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb

safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors

MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts.

That is hardly a "minor EXTERNAL component".

The rules allow for a change of barrel. That doesn't mean you can change the barrel with one that has a compensator as part of it.

22 Specifically prohibited modifications and features

Please note that the absence of an item in the list of prohibited modifications MAY NOT be construed to mean a modification is allowed. A modification is only allowed in Carry Optics Division if there is a rules clause or interpretation, which specifically declares that it is allowed in the Division.

• 6 months later...
When and if the "USPSA Limited Optics Provisional Divisional Rules" is approved, it looks like both of these might become legal in that division:  "Thumb rest permitted - Yes"

I got one of the Tec Performance ones to play with in the mean time, and it is an extremely well made product that actually works.  Easy to install and rock solid.  Had to file off a small amount at the top of my RHT competition holsters to get it to fit; otherwise no alterations needed.  I'm shooting Glock 34's and 35's; don't know if they make those for other guns.

Obviously, I'm enjoying all the shooting benefits that a thumb rest has to offer.  Thank you USPSA if the division is approved!    

Isn’t one of the catches for co is it has to fit in the holster without any modifications to the holster? I asked on f the nro’s about the sig thumb rests and cz thumb rest that I saw people using and they said as long as it hosts in a production legal holster without modifications to the holster to fit, it was good to go.  This looks like it would not fit a regular holster. But I like it I might get it for my Glock open gun.

"But I like it I might get it for my Glock open gun."

Joe, go ahead and try one...you are going to like it.  I just ordered three more (and I don't have an open gun).

Edited by sx2gl35
To add content.

30 minutes ago, sx2gl35 said:

"But I like it I might get it for my Glock open gun."

Joe, go ahead and try one...you are going to like it.  I just ordered three more (and I don't have an open gun).

I probably will order one

On 6/22/2022 at 10:55 AM, thegeneric said:

Given that the nitro fin for the CZ Shadow 2 and the various slide release thumb ledges for the p320 are both CO legal, is it safe to assume that these following products would be legal on a Glock for CO (since they "replace" the trigger pin)?

https://www.tecperformance.com/home/gun-parts/glock-thumb-grip/

Or this:

https://stores.sjcguns.com/sjc-glock-thumb-rest-dowel-type/

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

The first one is definitely not legal for CO or P.  It's a separate thumb rest that uses a longer trigger pin.  The fact that the pin is separate from the ledge is why it fails to meet the allowances of Appendix D4 21.6 and App D7 21.6.  Thumb rests (by themselves) are not among the list of approved external modifications.  However, 21.6 allows the replacement of externally visible pins with aftermarket ones.  If that aftermarket pin has an integral feature where the thumb could rest, then it's still legal because it's all one and the same part (a pin), not two separate parts.  CO pistols don't have to fit in the production box, so the extra width isn't a problem.  For production, a pin with integral thumb rest would be legal if the pistol still fits in the box.

The second one is just an extra long pin.  Totally OK by 21.6 in both P and CO.  However, the production box will almost certainly make it a no go for production.

22 hours ago, JoeMKY said:

Isn’t one of the catches for co is it has to fit in the holster without any modifications to the holster? I asked on f the nro’s about the sig thumb rests and cz thumb rest that I saw people using and they said as long as it hosts in a production legal holster without modifications to the holster to fit, it was good to go.

Whoever told you that are wrong

There is no rule that prohibits holster modifications in Production and CO.  As long as the trigger guard is covered, and the slide is covered up to 1/2" down from the front of the ejection port, you can hack away at the holster to accommodate other pistol modification.

See appendix D4 item 20 and appendix D7 #20

1 hour ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Whoever told you that are wrong

There is no rule that prohibits holster modifications in Production and CO.  As long as the trigger guard is covered, and the slide is covered up to 1/2" down from the front of the ejection port, you can hack away at the holster to accommodate other pistol modification.

See appendix D4 item 20 and appendix D7 #20

Good to know