Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All:

I am looking for a new knife and having a time finding one that fits.

Specs:

Fixed Blade

5-6" blade

Good Handle

Double edged

One side serrated the other plain

Both sides plain with ~1/3 of the lower edge of each serrated

Both sides plain

Some type of guard where blade meet handle (sorry don't know proper name)

Nice duty sheath

Symmetric so it doesn't matter which hand or who I grip it (No finger grooves)

I looked at the SOG pentagon and it seems to have these atributes with the exception of the guard. I am just worried if I thrust my hand would slide foward.

Any Suggestions on where to look?

Thanks, Steven

All:

I am looking for a new knife and having a time finding one that fits.

Specs:

Fixed Blade

5-6" blade

Good Handle

Double edged

One side serrated the other plain

Both sides plain with ~1/3 of the lower edge of each serrated

Both sides plain

Some type of guard where blade meet handle (sorry don't know proper name)

Nice duty sheath

Symmetric so it doesn't matter which hand or who I grip it (No finger grooves)

I looked at the SOG pentagon and it seems to have these atributes with the exception of the guard. I am just worried if I thrust my hand would slide foward.

Any Suggestions on where to look?

Thanks, Steven

Boker Applegate Fairbairn with kydex sheath fits the bill 100%

The double edge excludes many knives from consideration. Most are single edged. You also didnt mention price, materials, etc. ColdSteel makes 3 that might work, the OSS, the Taipan, and the Peace Keeper.

The new Camillus Bayonet has most of the features you want, but it is a bit longer then your spec. Then there is the Gerber Silver Trident, which has I think not only everything you want but even every combination of blade choices you have listed.

Standles, this might meet your criteria: http://www.osograndeknives.com/Masters%20o...sf-1_dagger.htm

There really are many choices. You can spend $50, $200 or $500 in a hurry. Just depends on what you want. Try the blade forums for some solid info before you invest.

This is a great blade forum to spend some time before you spend some money. http://www.bladeforums.com

I point guys from the blade forums here, I might as well point some of the shooters to the blade forums.

Rick

Sorry, forgot the link to begin with so edited to add the link.

Edited by Clay1

Thanks Rick:

I will check it out when I get home. Eglin AFB apparently thinks that Kinives (and for that matter 90% of the pages related to guns and ammo) are to violent or mature for us simple folks. Most are blocked by the firewall filter as MATURE subject matter.

Never mind we do weapons testing and handle ordanance and explosives all day. But with some of what I have seen in the Lt's maturity is not required :) LOL!

My job wouldn't allow us to get on any type of forum, bulletin board or chat room at work. I never posted from work, but you couldn't even browse. Big brother was watching everything.

Have fun with your research and shopping. I'll send you a pm.

Rick

I've been a knife dealer for almost twenty years now; started by running the knife section of my old man's gun shop and then my own small business after I joined the Air Farce ("Just as mature as the Cub Scouts, but without that pesky adult supervision thing").

About the the only thing that meets your double edge/combo edge critera is, as you noticed, the SOG Pentagon. I have on here on the Shelf Of Knife Stuff behind me (my own heap of "using" knives), oddly enough, and am fond of it. The handle is thick enough to all but preclude slipping it up on thrusts, with any decent grip.

For a work knife, though, it isn't really all that. Sort of like the Gerber Mark II; all show and little go.

I'm inordinately fond of the Reeve Project knives (and Sebenza, in folders ;) ), but they are a bit on the expensive side.

Colt Steel makes a hell for stout "using" blade. The Recon Scout and Recon Tanto are both really excellent blades; hold an edge well, very tough, and rather inexpensive.

K-Bar makes varients of their classic pattern 7" blade with serrations, and are a decent value for the money too.

Alex

My latest knife purchase look like it fits your needs except the finger grove, but they aren't deep enough to prevent you from using it either way. It comes with a Blackhawk sheath, and you can even get one with no markings if you need. :ph34r: It is well balanced and just fits me.

http://www.gerbertools.com/Img_L/6977.jpg

Gerber Silver Trident

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Still checking on things guys but I am narrowing it down fast. At present the top contender is the SOG Desert Dagger. Of course it would be discontinued and replaced by the daggerts which I don't like :)

Any feedback on SOG or the DD is welcome. I am scouring the forums folks suggested for feedback as well.

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your help in Finding a blade.

I never found a blade that fit my description better or my wallet than the SOG Desert Dagger. I am now the proud owner of one. I wish they would go ahead and invent these teleportation devices you see on sci-fi all the time. I hate waiting on UPS/FEDEX

Steven.