Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Division, Major Or Minor?

midvalleyshooter

Hey Mike, How do you think you shot the match? what I mean is, do you think you shot it a little more deliberate knowing you were shooting minor? or did you shoot it the way you would shooting major? This is just the kinda thing I am looking for in comparison.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mike, How do you think you shot the match? what I mean is, do you think you shot it a little more deliberate knowing you were shooting minor? or did you shoot it the way you would shooting major? This is just the kinda thing I am looking for in comparison.

I think I shot it about the same way I would if I had been shooting major. As you know, John, I'm normally a revolver guy, and so I never figure on being able to take extra shots, and now it's kind of a habit to simply get two decent hits on each paper and move on. Other than misses on steel targets, I think the only time I took extra shots on paper was on a stage with two distant swingers. I clonged the steel automobile silhouette on one shot, so I knew I'd need an extra, so I went ahead and whipped an extra round at both swingers.

Looking back at my hits, I think they're approximately what I would have expected shooting a .45 with major loads--31 Cs and 9 Ds for the match--which is kinda so-so. I probably should have put more emphasis on getting A hits. On the plus side, I had no misses and only one penalty (a NS where my shot barely broke the line and still counted as a hit on paper).

Even though the match design didn't really give it any meaningful advantage (I saved maybe two reloads the whole match by having 10+1, and I'm not sure they mattered much), I have to admit that I shoot my .38 Super a little better under pressure than I do a single-stack with major loads. My loads chronoed 128.8, and man they were super nice and comfortable to shoot. I think it helped me from getting clutchy on the trigger, which I tend to do intermittently on anything with a light single-action trigger and any sort of significant recoil.

40th overall. Hey, I got top minor, though--should be a prize for that honor, right?? ;)

I think the prize is the lesson... :D:D:D

Think I'll shoot major next year....

Yes. Although I still maintain that the choice of 8+1 major or 10+1 minor is very match-dependent. Most of the time, major is the way to go, because of the way courses tend to be designed. But, I have stage booklets from major matches I've shot where I would definitely choose the minor option.

I was curious so I did the math. Everything else being equal, you gave up 38.2836 stage points which would of got you 73.6618% and 31th place.

Later,

Chuck

Chuck, thanks for doing the math--I was planning to get around to that eventually. By coincidence, my best finish at the SSC was 31st (in 2006). However, I think the competition is tougher now.

Anyway, I'm pleased with my experiment--learned some things along the way, enjoyed spending the day with a great squad, saw lots of friends, and had a lot of fun at the match.

My question is were you able to keep the cigar lit with all that rain??

Glad you had a good time man.

Rick, we actually got lucky and avoided almost all the rain. I did walk onto one stage only to hear the R.O. bark at me, "There's no smoking here!" Of course it was only McMeanus with his own stogie clenched between his teeth! :)

Rick, we actually got lucky and avoided almost all the rain. I did walk onto one stage only to hear the R.O. bark at me, "There's no smoking here!" Of course it was only McMeanus with his own stogie clenched between his teeth! :)

He said McMeanus... aha aha ahaaaa.

They were changing out targets after the rain... I told Ray to tell Troy to get his ass in gear cause he was holding up the stage. Ray looks at me and says, "You tell him!" I declined to do so. :rolleyes:

For all the hard ass comments I've heard about him he was really easy going... we spoke for a few minutes in between squads. I just think he has a low tolerance for BS... as do I.

Edited by JThompson

I think I shot it about the same way I would if I had been shooting major. As you know, John, I'm normally a revolver guy, and so I never figure on being able to take extra shots, and now it's kind of a habit to simply get two decent hits on each paper and move on. Other than misses on steel targets, I think the only time I took extra shots on paper was on a stage with two distant swingers. I clonged the steel automobile silhouette on one shot, so I knew I'd need an extra, so I went ahead and whipped an extra round at both swingers.

Looking back at my hits, I think they're approximately what I would have expected shooting a .45 with major loads--31 Cs and 9 Ds for the match--which is kinda so-so. I probably should have put more emphasis on getting A hits. On the plus side, I had no misses and only one penalty (a NS where my shot barely broke the line and still counted as a hit on paper).

Even though the match design didn't really give it any meaningful advantage (I saved maybe two reloads the whole match by having 10+1, and I'm not sure they mattered much), I have to admit that I shoot my .38 Super a little better under pressure than I do a single-stack with major loads. My loads chronoed 128.8, and man they were super nice and comfortable to shoot. I think it helped me from getting clutchy on the trigger, which I tend to do intermittently on anything with a light single-action trigger and any sort of significant recoil.

Thanks Mike