Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550 .380 and 9mm shells jamming

I just transitioned from a Dillon SDB to a used RL550B I have gone through the loader and updated old parts and cleaned it.  My wife and I shoot pistols. I use a 1911 for IDPA and she uses a 9mm.  We recently picked up a Sig P365 in .380acp.  I have been using the 550 for about 3 months now and have encountered case crunching on the 2nd stage powder drop.  The mainly happens more so with the .380, but also the 9mm.  I have noticed the shells wobble quite a bit. I have the shell plate down as far as I can get it.  The brass locator button pin (#3) seems too small and the slop of the shell plate contributes to the problem. This causes shell damage rendering them useless with an expensive shiny new primer going to waste.  

Looking for some ideas to improve an almost 40 year old design?

How is the index feel of your base?  I am assuming you are crushing the case by it not being completely centered when you index it.

You should have a positive index into each station.  If you don't, I would begin by checking the index ball and spring.  You may also have the shell plate too low, I am not sure how the SDB works but you have to leave some room under the 550B shell plate for the case rim.

I have a positive index at each station.  The shell does have a tendency to tilt or wobble out of center as I am sending the shell up to the bell and charge the case with powder.  I Note that I have the shell plate as low as I can get it, without scraping out the completed round kick-out bar at station 4.  I would like to see them make is larger diameter brass button to keep the shell more in line.  There is too much play. The Square Deal B has its own unique dies set.  The 2nd stage has a wider opening to help center the shell

Edited by ohrings

3 hours ago, ohrings said:

I have been using the 550 for about 3 months now and have encountered case crunching on the 2nd stage powder drop.

Check the powder drop depth. I have two 550s and they load great, but one can set the powder drop to low and there’s enough force to crush the brass. Also don’t use the Dillon funnel for pistol reloading. Mr Bullet feeder powder funnel is the best way to go right now.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, the list below was copied from the Dillon 550 manual.  The 9mm uses Shellplate 5 and the .380 uses Shellplate 3.  Both use the same Locator Button #3.  The .380 is not just a shortened 9mm case. 

Good Shooting.  Michael

Shellplate 3 Locator Button 3

.221 Rem. Fire Ball A - #13426

.222 Rem. - Rem. Mag. A - #13426

.223 - 5.56 mm A - #13426

.380 ACP F - #13806

6mm TCU 6PPC - #13085

7mm TCU N - #13014

.17 Rem. O - #12921

.30 Whisper AK - #13015

Shellplate 5 Locator Button 3

9x18 9 - #14980