Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

380 hand loads jambing

Wobber

So I had loaded 20 each of Acme 95 Gn RN-NLG with Titegroup at 2.9 - 3.1 - 3.3 Gn with an OAL of .970 giving me 839 - 888 - 960 FPS. CCI 500 primers, nickle cases, but I can't see as that would make a difference! All three loads jambed 50% of the time never chambering. Is this due to my OAL, or is it because the Titegroup is cycling the slide to fast and hard? It's a Ruger LCP I'm shooting.

A side note, the Titegroup had a bad tendency for static, flakes stuck to everything.

What type of jam?  Bullet hitting the hood, hitting the feed ramp, stopping short of battery, or all of the above.  Do the loaded rounds pass a case gauge, if so what case gauge.

Nolan

Bullet hitting the hood, hitting the feed ramp would be a close description, definitely going into battery when aligned correctly. I'm thinking the load is too hot. I got the data off the Hodgdon's web site, but others have suggested Lyman's 50th edition which states minimum load as 2.7 Gn.

I'm guessing this is a new load?

Have you loaded for this gun in the past?

Did they all pass the plunk test before you tried to shoot them?

Is this gun reliable with factory ammo?

Edited by ddc
another question

18 hours ago, Wobber said:

Bullet hitting the hood, hitting the feed ramp would be a close description, definitely going into battery when aligned correctly. I'm thinking the load is too hot. I got the data off the Hodgdon's web site, but others have suggested Lyman's 50th edition which states minimum load as 2.7 Gn.

Hodgdon's minimum of 2.8gr with a 95 grain bullet while Lyman's minimum with a 90 grain bullet is far more conservative at 2.4gr and tops out at 2.7gr, .1gr below Hodgdon's starting load. Your velocity readings correlate with your belief the loads are too hot as Lyman's velocities start out 755fps and top out at 871fps, again for a lighter bullet. Try dialing it back to 2.4gr and see what the results are.

Edited by Tom S.