Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armanov adjustable primer depth gizmo for XL750s

Fishbreath

To get my primers properly deep (0.008"-0.010"), I have to really throw myself at the handle on my 750, which can screw up my elbow if I'm not careful.

So, when I saw Armanov had released an adjustable index bearing cam block, which allows setting of primer depth by changing how far down the platform goes on the forward stroke, I figured I had to give it a try.

Initial results are positive.

press.thumb.jpg.5405f8817867f0faa840c7c4f51f0dc7.jpg

bullet.thumb.jpg.eced2662d7812705f5cfd69c969a2860.jpg

It takes dramatically less force to seat the primers to the same depth, and also twists the linkage less. Worthwhile product if you have the same issue with a 750, and other solutions haven't helped you—and it's quite a bit less expensive than a 1050 or 1100.

Edited by Fishbreath
Fix images

29 minutes ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Image links aren't working.  What primer depths are you getting before and after the upgrade?

Fixed, thanks for the heads up.

Before the upgrade, a normal forward stroke would get me 0.004" to 0.006". It's currently adjusted for a 0.008"-0.010" primer depth.

Before the upgrade, I could get primers as deep as 0.008" or 0.009", but it took a lot more effort.

19 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I just push on the handle until it stops, and the primer is fully seated.

The top of the index block determines how far the handle can go. This lets you adjust where the top of the index block is, by adjusting the screw on the right. Depending on various tolerances in the machine, you might be able to seat to 0.008" stock, or you might only get to 0.004" without putting a bunch of weight into the handle.

I can say for sure, now, that it makes a difference in results vs. effort. It used to be that a 300-round session would be right on the edge of what my elbow could handle. On Wednesday, I loaded 300 rounds on the 750 with more consistent deep primer seating than I ever had before, did another 100 on the turret press, mowed the lawn, and shot 200 rounds of practice, and my elbow was fine.

That, of course, is for me, on my press. If you're happy with your primer seating already, there's not much reason for it. (The bearing for the indexer is a roller instead of a fixed steel ring, so it doesn't need grease, but that's a very small improvement for the price.)

1 hour ago, Fishbreath said:

The top of the index block determines how far the handle can go. This lets you adjust where the top of the index block is, by adjusting the screw on the right. Depending on various tolerances in the machine, you might be able to seat to 0.008" stock, or you might only get to 0.004" without putting a bunch of weight into the handle.

I can say for sure, now, that it makes a difference in results vs. effort. It used to be that a 300-round session would be right on the edge of what my elbow could handle. On Wednesday, I loaded 300 rounds on the 750 with more consistent deep primer seating than I ever had before, did another 100 on the turret press, mowed the lawn, and shot 200 rounds of practice, and my elbow was fine.

That, of course, is for me, on my press. If you're happy with your primer seating already, there's not much reason for it. (The bearing for the indexer is a roller instead of a fixed steel ring, so it doesn't need grease, but that's a very small improvement for the price.)

I've been looking into this because as you mention, the depth is so inconsistent.  I tried adjusting my primer cup up to the top of the range but it's about the same.

Did you order straight from Armanov?  The $22 shipping quote is quite hard to stomach for such a small part.

I guess I'm still not getting it. The primer can only go in so deep, until it bottoms out in the brass.

My 750 has no problem bottoming out Federal Small Pistol Primers in .38 short colt brass.

I guess I got lucky?

10 hours ago, Edwards30 said:

Did you order straight from Armanov?  The $22 shipping quote is quite hard to stomach for such a small part.

I did, and it was, but at least DHL gets it here quickly from Slovenia.

9 hours ago, ysrracer said:

My 750 has no problem bottoming out Federal Small Pistol Primers in .38 short colt brass.

I guess I got lucky?

Maybe! Previously, my 750 could never get primers as deep as my Lee turret. Now they're on par.