Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon powder funnel and expander die

I have two Dillon powder funnels. When attached to the expander die, they seem to expand the case mouths differently depending on which one is installed. No other adjustments, for example to the expander die itself. Is this expected?

Do they have exactly the same profile? Are they exactly the same length?

How do you get them in/out of the die without affecting the adjustment of the die?

6 hours ago, ddc said:

Do they have exactly the same profile? Are they exactly the same length?

How do you get them in/out of the die without affecting the adjustment of the die?

I'll have to check the profile.

But I have a quick-detach system by Armanov that lets me easily lift them off the die.

35 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

But I have a quick-detach system by Armanov that lets me easily lift them off the die.

As an example, here are 3 different powder funnels that can be used in a Dillon RL1100.  However, each one requires a different vertical adjustment of the die AND powder measure to get the desired results.

The Armanov quick-detach is simply an easier way of removing the powder measure, and replacing it, such as when your emptying powders or switching powders.  The die/funnel vertical settings will not need changed/adjusted as long as your using the same, exact powder funnel case expansion requirements.

🤔 

Powder Funnel Dims.png

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

1 hour ago, Blackstone45 said:

The quick detach system let's you change dies quickly but you still have to install and/or remove the powder funnel from the die do you not?

The fact that you have a quick detach system doesn't change that unless I'm completely misunderstanding your setup.

Do you have two dies and each has it's own funnel?

Or do you have one die and you have to remove one funnel to install the other?

10 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

As an example, here are 3 different powder funnels that can be used in a Dillon RL1100.  However, each one requires a different vertical adjustment of the die AND powder measure to get the desired results.

The Armanov quick-detach is simply an easier way of removing the powder measure, and replacing it, such as when your emptying powders or switching powders.  The die/funnel vertical settings will not need changed/adjusted as long as your using the same, exact powder funnel case expansion requirements.

🤔 

9 hours ago, ddc said:

The quick detach system let's you change dies quickly but you still have to install and/or remove the powder funnel from the die do you not?

The fact that you have a quick detach system doesn't change that unless I'm completely misunderstanding your setup.

Do you have two dies and each has it's own funnel?

Or do you have one die and you have to remove one funnel to install the other?

I am not changing the die or the funnel. Only the powder measure itself. The reason is because I have two different loads for 9mm, and I don't want to keep adjusting the powder throw when I switch between the two loads. So I have two powder measures set to drop different amounts of powder. 

2 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

I am not changing the die or the funnel. Only the powder measure itself. The reason is because I have two different loads for 9mm, and I don't want to keep adjusting the powder throw when I switch between the two loads. So I have two powder measures set to drop different amounts of powder. 

@Blackstone45Now I understand your procedure and reason!  :)

Even though I'm not familiar with the Armanov quick disconnect as I have never owned one, I do understand it's purpose and would ask if you have any vertical movement of the powder measure itself once it's installed on the die body?  Reason I ask is I was told by a reloading component design engineer that when setting up the precise amount of flare and depth for the powder funnel to remember:

Also note that if you “lift” the powder measure body and then tighten down the powder measure mounting flange, the amount of “flare” done by the cone funnel will change by at least -.002” to -.003”.

IMO, there could be some manufacturing tolerances/differences either in the quick disconnects or more than likely in the powder measures themselves........

Hope this helps! 

:)

Ok, I thought you were referring to the Armanov Hornady quick change bushing system and had the powder funnel in a stand alone expander die. (Which is not uncommon.)

Now I understand you are talking about the Armanov system that allows you to swap powder measures quickly.

The only thing I can add at this point is that the amount of flare is very sensitive. A very small turn of the die can make a distinct difference in the flare.

I'm guessing that removing and reattaching a different powder measure is introducing a different dynamic when the new measure is activated.

This is pure speculation but perhaps if you have two measures and one provides a little more resistance to activation than the other then that one might result in a little more flare than the other?

The manufactured tolerance for the powder measures are different. They could be a complete opposite ends of tolerance. You will be better off adjusting powder drop.

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-click-adjustable-powder-knob-v2

https://usa-shop.armanov.com/products/clickable-powder-thrower-adjustment-knob

Edited by AHI