Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Miculek Grip Installation

AustinMike

I acquired a used set of Miculek grips off ebay for my 625. They look like new. I'm trying to install them but I can't get them to slide on! They stop tight about half an inch from being fully seated. The bracket slides in and out OK on its own and the gun will slide all the way down (tight!) With the bracket on the butt of the gun, I can't seem to get the grip all the way on.

What's the secret to getting this thing on? I'm afraid to force too hard and break it.

Check that the roll pin is not longer than the inside of the grip is wide. I have had to file the roll pins to get the grips on. Also, when you do get it on, be carefull the screw does not bottom out against the frame and strip the threads on the screw or nut. I fought the last pair of hogue grips until I took a pair of pliers and crimped the stirrup that holds the the nut to make the stirrup a litle more narrow.

Edited by slflr

I while back I got a Miculek grip for my 625 but found out that my gun did not have the proper attachment on the bottom of the frame to screw it to.

So I called S&W. A very nice lady said she would post out the parts and when I offered my card number she said no sir they will be FOC.

Pretty good I thought.

Three weeks later a large envelope arrived by Fedex. It was at least 15 inches by 15 inches and had a small screw and a trigger part in it.

I phoned S&W and spoke to a nice guy who said he knew the exact part I needed and would post it out himself that very day. Again FOC.

Not bad I thought.

One week later a small jiffy bag arrived containing the parts except they were for the rubber grips and had a much thicker screw than what I needed for the Miculek one.

I phoned S&W and spoke to a different nice guy. A yes he said you need the one with the thinner screw I know exactly what you need I have it in my hand right now I will give it to the girl beside me she will post it to you Again FOC.

Four weeks later nothing showed up.

I phoned S&W spoke to a nice lady and related the whole story. She said the person I needed to talk to was out she would phone me back.

Didn't phone back

Next day I phoned S&W. The nice lady said O didn't she phone you back. I said no. She said I will have her phone you back today.

Didn't phone back.

Next day I phoned S&W. Nice lady said didn't she phone you back. I said no. I will phone you back within an hour she said.

And true to her word she did. She said she had figured out exactly what I needed and had double checked it with someone else and would post it the next day.

Eight days later (yesterday) a small jiffy bag arrived containing the parts.

The bracket fits the gun, the screw fits the bracket and the screw is thin enough to go through the grip.

BUT

When the grip is on the gun the screw is not long enough to reach the bracket.

If I had any hair I would be pulling it out in frustration.

I am wondering if I could find a screw locally does anyone know the thread used.

I thought about drilling a hole in the bracket to lower it but am thinking a longer screw would be easier.

S&W were very helpful but I guess its an offbeat item that not everyone is familiar with.

al

I acquired a used set of Miculek grips off ebay for my 625. They look like new. I'm trying to install them but I can't get them to slide on! They stop tight about half an inch from being fully seated. The bracket slides in and out OK on its own and the gun will slide all the way down (tight!) With the bracket on the butt of the gun, I can't seem to get the grip all the way on.

What's the secret to getting this thing on? I'm afraid to force too hard and break it.

My initial installation required great effort and committment. The pin may be too long as well, but they are tighter than Dick's hatband.

I would also like a replacement screw. Why doesn't everybody switch over to Allen head screws?

I found some stainless, allen head 6x32 screws, 1" long that will fit my Hogue and JM grips when cut to length. Email me with your name and adress and I will send you a couple, NC. I will also have some fillister head screws by the end of next week.

Bob <slflr@adelphia.net>

OK, I got the sucker on, but it wasn't easy. I squeezed the nut bracket in some with pliers, which got it to where it would stay put where I positioned it on the frame. I think the problem was that the bracket was getting pushed out of line going in and the nut wasn't able to find the notch in the bottom of the grip.

The fit is super tight. The backstrap bows out a little bit from the grip and there is a small gap where the strap disappears into the grip. It leaves a sharp edge hanging out, but I don't think that will bother me. Just wondering if this is normal. It's a little hard to see, but here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

625miculek.JPG

AustinMike - that's the way mine is/has been since I got them on. And it was a mighty tight getting it on. I don't quite recall the gyrations I had to go through but I ended up with that same little gap on the bottom.

Maybe AzShooter is right but that was the best I could get at the time.

Normal with the Round Butt, the Square Butt's have sharp edges at the front around the Strain Screw (but at least you can access it without removing the grips). I usually take a small file and round the edges off. Like 'em smooth as Major Loads can cause irritation.

I went down to the hardware store to try to find a suitable screw but without success.

On the way home I called at a small machine shop. The guy said thats an American thread we wouldn't have anything like it.

Just as I was leaving he called me back and after rummaging through a few boxes he produced the exact thread. Turns out he did a job for a local American owned factory and had some left over.

I just had to shorten it and now my 625 is sporting some mighty nice woodwork.

Now for some practice. They say if you handle it right one of these can do an el presedente in 4.5 seconds :)

al

I went down to the hardware store to try to find a suitable screw but without success.

On the way home I called at a small machine shop. The guy said thats an American thread we wouldn't have anything like it.

Just as I was leaving he called me back and after rummaging through a few boxes he produced the exact thread. Turns out he did a job for a local American owned factory and had some left over.

I just had to shorten it and now my 625 is sporting some mighty nice woodwork.

Now for some practice. They say if you handle it right one of these can do an el presedente in 4.5 seconds :)

al

I got some appropriate screws from Hogue. I understand if you contact Miculek thru BangInc./Clark, they can be had that way