Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non ramped barrels in open guns

Luckynumberslevin

So I started looking through the safe and I have an older Tripp research 2011 currently built as a 38 super open gun, that is in desperate need of some love. The colt 80 series slide is loose and cracked and someone took a grinder to the barrel to remove the feed ramp.  

The frame it's self is in good shape, but the catch is it is not a ramped frame.  (Hence the grinder work on the barrel). If you folks had this to build from, would you keep it as an open gun with an un-ramped barrel or would you build something else with it?

I would not build it as an Open gun.  If you want a 38 Super plinker, go ahead.  Make sure you measure the frame rails (thickness and width) so you buy the correct slide.  They are NOT all the same.

If you want an Open gun, buy an Open short block from Brazos Custom, then migrate all the parts in your gun to the SB.  That is the easiest and least costly way to get a good Open gun.  You could even go to 9mm major and save all the trouble of picking up expensive brass.

2 hours ago, Luckynumberslevin said:

Thanks for the information folks. Being here in Canada ordering a short block kit would be ideal but hard to do.  

Is there a chart or reference in rail dimensions vs slide types? 

No.  Just stay away from Caspian (all over the place) and STI and you will be fine.  I'd suggest you measure your frame rails, then call Bob at Brazos Custom.  He will tell you if his slides can be fit to your frame.  If he says yes, buy one.  They are superbly made.  If you don't want to go with Brazos for some reason, try Warwick Tactical.  They make slide for a boatload of custom builders.