Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up a red dot on a Buckmark

71Commander

For the life of me I can't figure out the best place to locate the red dot. My Buckmark has a 5" rail. If I place it toward the front, dot is easier to find but window is smaller. In the rear, window is larger but dot is elusive sometimes.

What's the consensus?

If you are shooting steel; as far up front as you can get it.  Yes, the view is narrower.  That is exactly what you want.  On close steel you don't have to aim.  If you see white, pull the trigger.

If shooting bullseye, over the ejection port or even farther back.  The more forward you put the dot, the more wobble you see.  That may cause you to try jerking the trigger when the dot wobbles over the center.  Bad move.  With the dot at the rear, apparent wobble is minimized, so you can concentrate on a slow, deliberate trigger pill.  If you have trouble finding the dot on Timed and Rapid fire, move the dot forward a little at a time until you can always pick it up.

I have a S&W Victory that I use for SC in RFPO division.  My RDS is on a mounting plate from Tandemkross that puts the body of the RDS toward the back of the slide, with the front of the window on the dot even with the back of ejection port.  I also shoot USPSA in CO division and my RDS is in a similar location on the Glock 17 Gen 4 MOS that I use for that purpose.  I like the window and dot size with the dot at that location on both guns.  Presentation, dot acquisition, and target transitions seem quick and solid without any problems once you put in the work to burn in muscle memory for good presentation and transitions. 

7 hours ago, zzt said:

If you are shooting steel; as far up front as you can get it.  Yes, the view is narrower.  That is exactly what you want.  On close steel you don't have to aim.  If you see white, pull the trigger.

I

I'm gonna try this option Sat. It's steel.