Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a powder sensor necessary for automation???

SJBriggs

I'm still undecided between the Apex 10 and RL1100. I've been more than happy with my 750, and for the most part, it's worked flawlessly, but eventually I plan on automating. Because I've had such great luck with my 750, I'm somewhat inclined to stick with Dillon. The one thing that's really holding me back is the lack of stations behind the powder drop. Ideally, I would like to run a powder sensor without having to use a combination seating/ crimping die. Of the thousands of rounds I've loaded on my 750, I've NEVER had an issue with the powder drops (knock on wood). I can imagine that the powder measure on the 1100 is not much different, as is the priming system, which has also been consistently reliable.

That said, is the powder sensor really necessary when you automate? If not, I would probably be inclined to save some money and forego the frustrations of the Apex 10 priming system and just go with the 1100.

I do not use a powder sensor. I also use a low density powder so I can see easily how full the case is.

On the 5 station press I've loaded squibs due to partial cycling of the handle clearing jams. Never had an off weight charge on the automated 1050 because cycles always complete.

Edited by belus

I have an 1100/Ammobot system mounted on the left end of a bench. No sensors.

I stand at about the 9:30/10:00 o'clock position with the stop switch in my hand and monitor case fill and bullet orientation.

For 9mm that works for me. YMMV for deeper cartridges.

12 hours ago, SJBriggs said:

Good info, thank you. It's too bad the 1100 doesn't have more stations, but the lower cost combined with Dillons reliable track record make it pretty appealing over the Apex 10.

I agree. 10 stations would have been nice on the 1100. (Maybe there will be a "RL1200" some day with 10 stations?)

It turns out that for me at least having that station is not a big deal.

My motivation in going automated was solely to reduce wear and tear on a shoulder that has seen it's share of abuse.

I never intended to operate with sensors so the base unit suited me just fine.

Plus I was bored pulling the lever all the time. However It turns out that I'm still getting bored.

It may even be worse now  'cuz  I just stand there waiting for something to go wrong, lol...

But in the end I have no regrets at all going with the RL1100.