Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target obscured by sights

bomgrene

Any tips on how best to aim at a target that is completely obscured by your sight picture? I'm working on my accuracy drills and out past about 65', the 3" side of the 3"x5" card is completely obscured by the sight picture. My current method is to try to hold the sights on what I think the center is. I'm using stock Sig sights (but I got rid of that nasty ball-dot with some sight paint) and maybe it's time to look at changing them out.

bomgrene,

try sighting your pistol so that the bullet strikes just above the post.

If the point of impact is below the top of the post you can either raise your rear sight or lower the front.

Shooting groups on those cards with that zero would simply involve a 6 o'clock hold.

Hope that helps,

P.D.

I've got the same cross dominance issue that Loves2Shoot does, so shooting with both eyes open just isn't going to work. I'll try out the 6 o'clock hold and see if it works, thanks, Phil. I'll porbably end up changing my sights anyway, but right now I'm being a cheap bastard. :)

This sounds sorta like what highpower rifle shooters see.  The target is on a 6' by 6' piece of cheesecloth that is a bit wider than the front sight post.  The bullseye is a 13" black circle (at 200 yards).  It looks sort of like a fuzzy bit of lint on top of the front sight if you have a center hold.  Any hold can work.  Center, 6 o'clock, flat tire, reverse flat tire, line of white are all options (assuming you can easily adjust your sight), but center is probably best if you will be shooting targets of different shapes and orientations at varied distances without adjusting your sights (as you do in IPSC).

With a rifle, I mount the gun, bring the sights onto the target, and shift my focus from sights to target 2 or 3 times back and forth to confirm the sight picture, then focus hard on the front sight, and break the shot.  Often, the bullseye becomes so blurry that it might as well not be there, it seems.  Usually, if I can no longer see it, and the shot breaks, then it's a solid 10 or X.  

So don't worry too much about the target going so out of focus you can't see it any more.  As long as you don't leave the gun mounted forever, you'll still be on target.

Good luck,

DD

If you are a cheap bastard and will end up changing your sights anyway, try making your front sight smaller with a file :) Cheap and easy if it doesn't have a fiber in it. I like to aim dead on because I can put the sight ON the point I want to hit faster than UNDER the point I want to hit, but that is just me.

My pistol is zeroed so that the round strikes immeadiately above the post at 15 yds, like .5" or so.

When you shoot your groups with this hold you can use the bottom edge of your card as a good clear aiming mark and still get a group on paper, just!

For IPSC shooting that hold works great.

P.D.

Bill Blankenship once told me that, just for fun, now and then he'd shoot a dime (which was standing up) off a fence post at 25 yds. And since you obviously can't see the target, but you do know where it is, the trick was to REALLY LOOK RIGHT AT THE SIGHT ALINGMENT. And of course you have to really know your gun's zero.

be

most of the Olympic pistol shooters prefer front sights that are considerably wider than the 10-ring that they are aiming for (and hitting). So from a precision point of view that you center a small target over a big front sight is as good or better than centering a small front sight under the big target.

In IPSC, I am now going back to wider front sights (maybe it's my eyesight) again...

To help with "reverse dominance", try putting a small piece of semi-transparent tape on the lens of your shooting glasses.  Place it so that your "weak" eye can't get a clear focus on the sights.  This still allows you to have a wider field of view and also helps with depth perseption.

(Edited by scooterj at 11:09 am on Feb. 22, 2003)

Quote: from bomgrene on 6:05 am on Feb. 21, 2003

I've got the same cross dominance issue that Loves2Shoot does, so shooting with both eyes open just isn't going to work. I'll try out the 6 o'clock hold and see if it works, thanks, Phil. I'll porbably end up changing my sights anyway, but right now I'm being a cheap bastard.

I'm not sure why cross-dominance would affect shooting with two eyes.  When I switch to shooting left handed, I am shooting cross dominant.  Bottom line is just to look at the target and raise the gun until the sights are in line with one of your eyes.  It will naturally find the dom eye.  Ignore the other gun image.  It doesn't matter which eye is dominant.

As far as the wider sight, for precision shooting you aim diferently than in action shooting, I find I shoot significantly faster and more acurately "at speed" with the smaller front sight. If you have poor eyesight, it might be harder to pick up the frontsight so you might be better of with a wide sight and opening up the rear sight. The eye does a good job of centering the blade with a fairly wide opening.

Bounty,

Believe me it does, I don't have enough of an eye dominace to know which picture is coming from which eye. It is  impossible to shoot a limited gun without something blocking the front sight from one of the eyes  with any speed. I have no idea what it is like to see one sight picture with both eyes open and no tape, the same way you can't understand that some people can't just ignore one sight picture. I have tried picking one, and half the time it is the right eye and half the time is is the left eye, and I have near perfect vision (1/8th off 20/20), go figure.

bountyhounter,

Believe me I tried for 6 months to ignore that "other gun" but it just does not work for my eyes. IANAO (I am not an ophthalmologist) so I don't know *why* my eyes work this way, but they do.

scooterj

I've been using the tape trick for a while and you're right, it does make a big difference.

(Edited by bomgrene at 9:56 am on Feb. 24, 2003)

What Phil said about your gun's POI and what benos said about knowing it.

Another thing is to pull the gun in closer to your face, making the rear notch or aperture larger so you can see more around the front post. I don't think it'll work for a 3x5 card, but it's something to have in your bag of tricks.