Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock for the Boys

Ironman

This topic could either be here or in the reloading section but I thought this might be a better place.  I have two sons one that is 16 and the other is 14.  I have gotten my 16 year old (Brian E.) a glock 35.  I have also gotten the same gun for myself so we can compete together in USPSA/IPSC competitions.  My younger son (Matt) is feeling left out and so I want to get him a 35 also but he does not like the 40 as much as the 9mm (I think because of the recoil).  I know that he will grow into the 40 and want to shoot with the power factor advantage once he gets into the sport.  I would like to load down a 40 to develop recoil similar to a 9 mm if possible.  Currently I am loading 3.9 grains of tight group with a 180 grain armscor FMJ.

I also have my concerns regarding the 6 o'clock guppy that could be a safety issue with the glocks so I am thinking about getting the boys a KKM barrel.  I did some research and it sounds like even the KKM barrel does not offer full case encasement such as you would get in a SV.

What are your thoughts and comments on these two dilemmas?

Jim

5.0 of UC behind a 180 is fairly brisk but not too aggressive. Also if you want an even lighter and very accurate load, 4.0 of WST behind a 180 will give you a good feel.

The KKM barrels provide quite a bit more support than the stock barrel, I used one for a while in my 35. One thing about using the KKM, it has a very tight chamber and you'll need to use a Lee FCD to make it work smoothly.

I agree with Fireglock. WST is a very low pressure powder. The 180-gr FMJ over 4.0-gr of WST, OAL 1.135 inches is a GSSF favorite, producing a power factor in the low 140's. I use a Lee factory crimp die and a Dillon chamber gauge for all my reloads. They work just fine in my G24C with factory barrel. ;)

Jim,

I tested a factory 9mm barrel in a G-35 this afternoon. Functioned fine and shot as well as I held (about 2 inches at 10 yard firing fairly quickly). The 9mm barrel is .020" narrower than the 40 tube but seemed to lock up just fine (on the bottom in front). I didn't test at longer distance as 10 yards was the limit of the particular range I was using.

Also a friend and I are working on creating a 130pf load for his G-35 with a stock barrel. We tried 3.2 grains of VV-320 which gave about 640 fps or 115 pf. Next we are going to try 3.4 and 3.6. I'm betting the 3.6 will get us to 130.

Most factory 9MM loads are going to generate about 135-145pf so that range or less should feel similar to a 9. For the 180gr I'd aim for about 740fps. If you don't have a chronograph. Shooting Chrony's are reasonable and only cost about $75 for the base model.

Good Luck

Seth

Seth, just a quick word. I wouldn't try and go down to 130 PF, I tried it with my 34 and the gun would choke at least once a mag if it got too low. It's now up around 145 PF with 147 Gr bullets. I had a post on this thread, but it seems to have gotten lost in the change. I'll repost in the morning.

OK, lets see if I can remember everything I said :unsure: ..........

Jim,

Let me give you some background. I started shooting handguns at age 11 (I'm now 13) with my brothers Springfield Loaded 1911 in 45, I shot that for about 6 months before getting my G34 when I started shooting USPSA. I had shot a G22, and with my stance and grip not being anywhere near what they are now, it was brutal. So I ended up with my G34, of which I paid for half. About 2 months after getting it, I found that it would not cycle with the stock spring. So in the 13lb spring goes and everything’s good.

Shooting the FL Open last month, I shot with another Junior younger than I. He was shooting Open, and the gun was just too much for him at the time. I believe that would have been me had I gotten the 40.

So, I guess the moral of the story is that get what your boy feels comfortable with. As Seth said, maybe a G35 with a KKM 9mm made for the G35? Or, since the new 9mm's are coming with the 3 pin frames, you could probably just drop a 40 top end on in a year or so. PM me if you need anything more.

IPSC G34

I've shot 126 pf in my 34 using a stock guide rod (dremeled to remove the end cap) and a 13lb spring using 147 gr bullets. That load and spring wouldn't snap back the way I wanted. I'm shooting between 130pf and 131pf with a stock recoil assembly now and it will work just fine retention, single hand left or right and of course two hand. Now that said, my wife can't shoot the same load and have it function reliably with a stock recoil assembly we use a cut down spring for her gun using the same load. The ability to shoot a light load depends on grip and spring. The heavier the spring the more solid your grip must be.

I wish I had been able to start shooting a handgun at 11, but I never even handled one until I went shooting with a buddy in college. Then I was hooked. I got my first when I was 21.

Just a quick thought...

--You could also add a brass magwell, brass base pads and ext. tungsten guide rod to add weight. This would help dampen recoil.

--you could buy a 34 slide/upper, some 9mm mags and use it onto the 35 frame.

--Or just buy him his own 34! :)

Good luck on the project!

Just stick with your Tightgroup powder. It works fine. I load 3.2 grs with a 180 plated bullet, OAL 1.125". This combo, with a 13# spring, shoots softer than a 9mm. I have never had a FTF to feed with this load.

I decided to just stick with one load for both IPSC and IDPA. I use 4.3 grs. of TG for both. Makes about 930 - 940 fps.

If you look hard enough TG can be bought for $82 an 8 lb keg.

Thank you all for your responses. I would have answered sooner but I could not get logged onto the site due to its new location. Seeing that I still have about 4 Lbs of Tightgroup left I dropped down to 4.6 grains of Tightgroup with 180 gr FMJ on a 100 test rounds last night and will drop it down to 4.3 tonight and give it a try at the range on Saturday. I am using a 13# captured spring for competition but so far the stock spring has worked during practice just a well as the 13# one does. Once again I want to thank all of the great folks here at Brian's site for your opinions... You’re all great! :D

Jim