Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old member that has been missing for 12 years need a little load data help.

lbmarks

I am a senior shooter new to IDPA, but experienced in other shooting sports like PPC.  Currently I have HP-38, Federal primers, 147 round nose Blue Bullets, 147 grain round nose Bayou bullets that I would like to use.  I'm looking for a soft shooting minor load for my Sig P320-X5 that I will use in CO.

I've test loads ranging from 3.3 grains down to 2.9 with both bullets.  My OAL is 1.114 to 1.115, at 31 feet, holding over a rest.

Any help will be appreciated very much.

Jim,

Thanks.

The reason I went so low with my powder is there was a guy at the range that had a new chronograph and it showed that my 3.3 load was running 915 fps.  This produces a power factor of 134.5.  Minor in IDPA is 125, so I started dropping my powder load, and went all of the way down to 2.9.  The results are a bullet impact spread of, this is a guess as I don't have the targets here, 1 1/2 to 2 inches.  I am a master class shooter in both classes of PPC so I don't think I'm that shaky off of a rest.

It sounds like you have the proverbial "fast barrel" and your lighter loads are what Jim Clark called "lobbing."  Note that f 125 is the MINIMUM power factor.  I like to see 130-132 for a safety margin, I have seen wide swings in velocity from different barrels. 

I took my P226 to a major match with 9mm ammo developed in my Colt 1991A1.  It did not make Minor in the Sig.  Fortunately, the rules then allowed for chronographing in the longest barrel of the Division.  Mine made Minor in the chronograph operator's gun, so I was good for that match, but I increased the load when I got home, until I retired that Sig and went back to my Colt.

It has been a long time since I shot PPC.  Back then my Honorary Deputy card got me into matches and on the county team to the state championship level.  Since NRA took over from PMA, they are more strict and you have to be a real cop.

Name: 9mm: 147gr Xtreme RN: Win 231 3.5gr: Mix Case: OAL 1.145
Notes: Para 1911 5"
Shots: 8
Average: 920 ft/s
SD: 16 ft/s
Min: 903 ft/s
Max: 949 ft/s
Spread: 46 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 135
Power Factor Low: 132
Power Factor High: 139
Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 62 F
Weight: 147.0 gr.
Powder: Win 231 / 3.5
Case: Mixed
Bullet: 147
Gun: Para

• 10 months later...
10 hours ago, ohsevenflhx said:

what is your 147gr and American Select load.

3.3 gn   1.130 oal   147 grain TC (flat nose)  blue bullets gives 900 fps in glock 34 KKM bbl  3.4gn will give 92o ish   

I believe the old am select data gave 3.5 as max load with 147 grain 

Edited by Sinister4