Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shoot PCC with an actual M1 Carbine?

A part of me wants to get a Classification in every single division there is. I can nearly do it with my little armory. A few guns I'd have to get classified in Irons and then throw an Optic on it. 

The ONLY firearm I might need to buy is PCC........... then I realized, I have a CMP M1 Carbine. So I got to thinking................

Just curious.......... clearly for kicks.

Well, I thought it was a pre war unpopular pistol caliber that found a place, but apparently it wasn't. It was part of the design to build a support carbine rifle type in WW2 that was flushed out in the process.  

I guess my confusion is around there doesn't seem to be a "regular" rifle in 30 caliber "carbine" cartridge. So I presumed it started out as an odd ball pistol caliber. Because there ARE rifle caliber carbines in 223 and 308, but those are stepped cases. Those started as traditional rifle lengths, and a 30 carbine projectile looks much like a pistol projectile with a straight walled case. So I thought, it literally was a pistol caliber (it can be, but didn't start that way). 

Unlike many "Carbines" that were originally rifles and cut down, or a previous rifle action used to make a carbine the M1 Carbine was designed from the beginning to be a carbine. It didn't use a previous popular caliber either. 

I guess the factory ammo power factor is pretty stout, but I'm sure my 30 carbine loads are lighter than my Open Gun major loads. But I suppose the point is I probably can't find factory 9mm that will exceed factory 30 carbine power factor. Certainly not out of a pistol.  

I guess the impressive thing is how long the cartridge has survived. It's not common by any measure, but it's not impossible rare to get either, or load for. 

Anyway............... learned a little bit today.