Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 Rifle Suggestions for Steel Challenge

ZOSO

I don't buy the 15-22 argument.  A 15-22 feels and handles nothing like my PCC.  Buy one if you like, but not for the reason given above.  I have a custom 10/22 and a Leadstar Prime PCC.  I have absolutely no problem going back and forth.  My 10/22 feels solid, like my PCC.  A 15-22 rattles and feels flimsy and to me.  I got rid of the light, adjustable stock I originally put on my 10/22 for the same reason.

On 12/28/2021 at 8:23 PM, warpspeed said:

We have a couple of guys that shoot 10/22's quite successfully so they can and do work - just not for me.

The Kidd trigger is absolutely sick. 

I love my Volquartsen Modshot rifle Which is now 2 years old.  I must admit that I started having trigger freeze problems which I blame on the less than positive trigger reset so I bought a Kidd 1.5 pound trigger group that has a very positive reset.  WOW what a improvement both with trigger pull weight and trigger reset.  WARNING...... If you replace your Volquartsen trigger group with a Kidd trigger group you must also replace the Volquartsen mounting pins because they are too large to fit through the holes in the Kidd trigger group.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a registered SBR for steel challenge with a pair of ~10" barrels... one for RFRI with a Striplin fiber optic front and carry handle rear with small aperture opened to 5/32" on a 1913 rail... other is RFRO with a Holosun 510c... both use CMMG B units with Bore Buddy firing pin and extractors...advantages I perceive

conversion unit is easily removed to clean bolt face and feed ramp, and allow access to chamber and bore for a brush

use familiar B5 cheek weld stock, and Hogue AR grip

good AR trigger

Black Dog stainless feed lip magazines... feed lips do not contain the feed ramp like a 10/22, but rather it is on the bolt collar... feed lips to not wear like 15-22... magazine capacity allows three strings before interruption to re-load

016.thumb.JPG.c512c76ca2a0e75ff7e07d834a3b8952.JPG