Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case flare and a couple other questions

So I bought a second powder measure for my 1100 so I can go from one powder to the other powder with out cleaning and reseting the drop ammount. Finally got around to getting the new one put on my machine and checking it before putting powder in and it's flaring the case more then my other one. A lot more. I'm using the MBF funnel. I thought I was able to just swap one for the other and it would be the same?

Also almost every case kind of gets stuck or pops back out of the funnel. If I don't have a case in that station everything is smooth. If there is a case the machine is stuffer coming back up. I use Hornady one shot dry lube. I spray the lube in the zip lock, put a bunch of cases in and shake it up. Should I just spray the cases in the bucket and then do some in the case feeder so these is a little lube inside the case every so often?

I'm using a 4 die Lyman pro micrometer adjustable set and have an extra die I have never used and don't know what it's for. It is an "M" die, what does it do? And should I be using it? Stations are set up with EGW U die, dillon hold down for swadge die, MBF funnel die, MBF bullet drop, Lyman micrometer adjustable seating die, Lyman micrometer adjustable crimp die. I've loaded about 6 or 7K with it like this and everything good except that stuck case bump with the powder funnel.

Thanks,

Josh

First your cases are to clean. That is why they stick to the expander. Tumble in corn cobb with a little wax.

The M die is an expander die. If you don't need to swage. You could add it to that station.It would help with

your case sticking.      You do know this comes up every 30ish days?   

5 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

A lot more. I'm using the MBF funnel. I thought I was able to just swap one for the other and it would be the same?

Nope.

I have five Dillon powder measures and they just aren’t fine precision milled devices. Every swap requires a reset of the depth even when using the same funnel.  

As far as the “pop” goes, there’s lots of solutions here on the forum, I polish mine until they shine. No problems with clean brass, “popping.”

This was from a similar thread in the forum

I wet tumble with pins, lube cases with a substance I mixed that is similar to Dillon’s case lube (lanolin/alcohol mixture) and had sticking issues when I was only using the Dillon and MBF powder funnels using my Dillon Super 1050.  I was then made aware of the Redding expander die by someone on this forum. I installed that in the swaging station and never had a sticking issue since. The press runs super smooth once I dialed in the dies and lubrication amount just right. Make sure you do not over bell the brass with the expander die which will be easy to do if it is not adjusted correctly if you go that route. 

I still use the swager when I installed this die above it in the tool head.  The Expander die replaces the swagging hold down die.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/redding-reloading-premium-expander-die.html?_iv_caliber-193146313=9mm-luger

Not it affiliated with Optics Planet or Redding used link as reference. 

Let me me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks everyone. 

It's not super hard to just adjust the powder dropper so I think I'll just stick to same one and clean it when swapping from 9 major to 9 minor. 

As for the popping I bought a alpha dropper but.... can't find it now. I out it somewhere in the reloading room that was "safe". It's safe alright. Going to polish the MBF funnel again and just spray lube on the cases in the case feeder. 

16 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

So I bought a second powder measure for my 1100 so I can go from one powder to the other powder with out cleaning and reseting the drop ammount. Finally got around to getting the new one put on my machine and checking it before putting powder in and it's flaring the case more then my other one. A lot more. I'm using the MBF funnel. I thought I was able to just swap one for the other and it would be the same?

Thanks,

Josh

It was recommended to me, as others have confirmed with initial setup of dies, to load a dummy, sized piece of brass into the powder dropper/funnel assembly prior to final tightening of the powder measure to the powder die via the two-bolt collar.  The powder measure assembly does have a bit of vertical play prior to final tightening that can definitely affect the desired depth and amount of case flare.......

🤔