Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

We bought one from the local butcher last Thanksgiving. The idea was good but the execution was all wrong. The Butcher had stuffed in beween the layers with dressing and also stuffed the cavity. The dressing was horrid and it transmitted that taste to the rest of the bird(s). If I ever do it again I would have the butcher just debone the turkey/duck/chicken and I would put them together myself with some rub between the layers.

I much prefer the fried turkey to the turducken and it doesn't take as long either.

Later, Steven

Edited by standles

Sorry you had such a bad experience with it....I did know not to put stuffing in any part of it. Going to cook it about as long as a normal 14 pound bird and keep checking on it...I did brine the turkey and the chicken before I put them together but not the duck...I will let you know how it turns out..

Happy Thanksgiving. :P

Turkey (Fresh, free range, brined), Cornbread/Sausage Stuffing and all the rest of the trimmings washed down with a few bottles of good wine (exact wine has not been determined yet).

Dessert will be pumpkin pie with bourbon whipped cream (add a shot of bourbon instead of vanilla when whipping the cream).

The best part about Thanksgiving will be spending it with my parents. After all the years of Mom slaving away to get Thanksgiving dinner for the family I really enjoy being able to return the favor.

No turducken for me this year but Cabella's does have them pre-cooked and ready to chomp on from their mail order catalog.

We always do the traditional bird and sides but my wife ends up making 3 kinds of dressing and I have to make 2 kinds of gravy to make everyone happy. I have somehow managed to raise children who will not eat giblet gravy. I don't know where I went wrong. :wacko::) We always have cornbread, sage and oyster dressing though I don't know why anyone would want anything other than the cornbread.

-ld

had to google turducken because i didn't know what it was either. is this a southern, western or eastern thing? i'm from michigan and never heard of it, though it does sound very good.

for the first time im trying a deep fried turkey. everyone tells me it's the shjt, so i'm giving it a go.

happy holidays everyone.

Thomas:

For your first time be sure to get your oil hot (350-375) and keep it there. Before you heat the oil a safety check is to put the bird in the pot (Plastic still on it) and then fill with oil till covered ~1 ". Remove turkey and take back to kitchen for prep. This way when you lower the bird into the hot oil it doesn't spill over into the fire and get you a guest appearance on AFV (America funnniest videos).

I use a cajun rub and rub it all over as well as in the cavity. I then try to get some under the skin as well. Fry for 3mins per pound with an added 5mins at the end for good measure. Pull out of oil and while still hot and greasy dust with seasoning again.

Edited by standles

+1 on being careful when frying a turkey. The fire dept has been running a psa with video of a turkey being lowered into a pot with too much oil in it. The resulting fire was horrendous. If you were very lucky you would get to go to the ER. If not.....

-ld

TL:

I guess I have been frying turkeys for about 10 years now. It all started when one year I forgot to thaw the turkey out for the feast. I was partially rescued by a cousin who brought over a fresh turkey to cook. It wasn't turkey season and I was told not to ask questions. Now the problem was I didn't have time to cook it in the oven. I used my catfish frying experience and a thermometer to fry that puppy up.

I never found a way of cooking them that I liked better so now I just fry em up. It adds to the fun that I am in the yard away from all the yappy wemin (women) folks. Since we are working with hot oil we also get divested of the chillin (children) watchin. The buds and I can also have a few beers while we swap lies.

Later all....

A friend of mine is on the fire dept in a neighboring town. He has had to put out at least one turkey fryer fire every year for the past five. Several decks have been lost and lots of vinyl siding needed replacing but so far no whole houses or lives.

Costco had a sale on turkey fryers a few years ago. Complete kit for like $120 including a turkey. Most idiots figured that if it comes with 6 gallons of peanut oil then you have to put it all in the pot without a clue as to what the thermometer is for.

That year he put out a half dozen fires and found out later about a dozen or so more that the home owners had put out without assistance but the insurance company refused to pay on until the fire dept conducted an investigation.

There was a story on the local news a couple years ago about an idiot that decided to deep fry in his kitchen. I forget how many died but the house was totally involved when the fire dept got there. The idiot died later of his burns (not a good way to go).

What gets me is that it is SO EASY to do it safely yet there are SO MANY people that just can't manage that. Darwin was right.

Sounds dangerous.

Luckily for Liota and I, we are having dinner at the city Fire Chief's house :P

Saves me from having to make my traditional Thanksgiving Spagetti and Meatballs (hey, I use ground turkey and spicy pork sausage for the meatballs, that sort of works ;) ).

Alex