Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I finally crossed the Major PF line with my reloading (using N350)

Snoopy47

I'm glad I took my time, and stepped gently into the Major Power Factor realm. 

This just echoes what many say, and what everyone should probably do. DO YOUR OWN TESTING and DATA COLLECTION. 

I am currently using N350, and I'm happy with it. For one, I managed a #4 jug of it recently so I just better figure it out 🙂

Anyway.............. going into this adventure I was prepared to load over 7.0gn of it based on internet consensus, and by god, that's not what I found worked for myself. 

I reached 165.8 PF with only 6.5gn of N350. Granted, it's close, but I can probably be safe at PF with 6.6gn being tested in a match environment, and nowhere near 7.0gn. 

Load and Gun details: 

124gn FMJ from Precision Delta

6.5gn N350

Small Rifle Primers (Wolf, and they suck, multiple failures to ignite, but ignited on second strike, and I had a heavier 6lb striker spring, will have to chrono normal pistol primers)

1.16 OAL limited by Glock magazine

Yes, it's a Glock, Gen4 G34

But the barrel is KKM 9mm

Compensator is Carver 7 port (3 top 2 each side)

Brass is random multi used range brass. It couldn't possibly be any cheaper. I have no idea how many times I loaded it, but certainly, this is probably the last for this batch. 

Avg Velocity is 1337.4

Max velocity is 1344

Min Velocity is 1329 (1 FPS short of PF)

Avg PF 165.8

Max PF 166.7

Min PF 164.8

STDEV 5.9FPS

I also chrono'd 6.9gn of N350. 

PF 173.5

Avg Vel 1399

STDEV 3.2FPS

Finally............ I was lucky enough to borrow a Lab Radar Chrono (which is doppler radar) so I don't think my data collection could be any better. 

I can probably improve my STDEV with new brass. 

Anyway.......... this Major PF thing is all new to me (not actually reloading, I've been doing that 15 years now), and I was very hesitant to go down this path a year ago. I finally got the courage, and now I'm excited that I have a known quantity for a known gun set up that seems to be safe to operate. 

My advice, if you participate in any major matches next year invest in starline brass for that match. I started it doing it a few matches before nats and my ammo was flawless. I won't leave reliability to chance anymore even if it's statistically small.

N350 is a great powder and pretty low pressure. I use it from time to time but mostly for a very predictably recoiling pattern in 40 major. 

I also shoot a Glock 34 g4 with kkm barrel that I had Magnaported plus an 11 port SJC compensator and a SJC frame mounted optic, It shoots nice and level. However, I shoot precision Delta 115gr with 10.6gr of Major Pistol from Shooters World at 1.150 oal seems to be the best groups with PF 173. It has tons of gas and extremely clean burning. I also use from time to time Vihtavuori 3N38 9.1gr at 1.160 for PF 171. I also use the Lab Radar otherwise it would be very dangerous to shoot at these levels not knowing your velocities. Therefore, I also invested in Quickload inorder to get the rest of the story about pressures, muzzle gas force, recoil, ballistic efficacy etc before you select a powder and after as well. I also recommend for you to shoot your range brass after you sort them by head stamp, time consuming but worth it for matches. 

• 2 weeks later...