Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Patriot Defense new Hammer preview

johnbu

Just hit my mailbox! @patriot_defense new design hammer.  Bunch of pictures for your enjoyment in the link to my instagram.  I'm told PRE-ORDERS will open Friday after Thanksgiving. NOTE: mine is a prototype in the raw, meaning final finish and DLC coating is not applied.  

instagram picture link
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWl2LZ3rRzx/?utm_medium=share_sheet

The SA has a solid wall and crisp break. Very predictable and uniform.  I've had a Titan hammer in the gun since... 2017-ish and it has held up well, even concidering Tanfo only surface hardens them.  The new PD is made of a very high carbon steel and should have a couple advantages on long term reliability and (I assume) a gunsmith could tweak the hammer hooks to customize further.  That wasn't possible on the tanfo surface hard only ones.

The hammer hooks look to be very close to those on the Titan hammer. The pictures are side by side to a factory S2 "heart shape" hammer. You can see the PD hooks are much shorter than those. (Sorry, i didn't get a side by side to the Titan.) Pull values with a new Wolff 16# hammer spring and a new factory trigger return spring were 7# 4oz DA and 3# 2oz SA.  That's slightly higher than my 4 year old  Titan hammer with a gazillion dry fires and 100k live rounds.  I expect the coated ones to lower the SA and further lowering with a few 1000 pulls.

The serrations on top are aggressive, unlike the more smooth Titan top. I LIKE THAT, a lot. Especially lowering the hammer on hot sweaty days!

The hammer is also physically taller and has more top weight. Meaning it hits harder.  With sketchy primer availability,  hitting harder is very welcome!  How much harder? Pencil launch was a few inches higher in SA. DA looked about the same. 

They also changed some specs around and the "Tanfo hammer wobble" you could feel is nearly non-existent. It feels remarkably more solid.

Apparently 2 versions will be made. This one is the Heavy with partially cut windows.  A light version will have window cuts going completely thru.  I prefer a heavy hammer for a harder strike.  

Full disclosure: Joe at PD sent me this at no charge, to evaluate and give my totally free honest opinion.

FYI - after a half hour of dry fire the SA pull dropped a few oz to 3.00# average.

I normally use a rag wheel and blue magic compound on hammers before installation.  But, my system is otherwise occupied.  So, I'm seeing the normal drop seen thru install and use.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 2:41 PM, johnbu said:

Apparently 2 versions will be made. This one is the Heavy with partially cut windows.  A light version will have window cuts going completely thru.  I prefer a heavy hammer for a harder strike.  

One day maybe I will understand why a lot of folks prefer a lighter hammer for a harder strike and others prefer a heavier hammer for a harder strike. That day is not today. 

Thanks for the review, very interesting, sounds like buying new the PD might be a no brainer when improving from oem. If you already have things right with a Titan, dunno?