Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mangling the front sight roll pin?

slowhands

I just got a new CO slide for my Shadow 2, and went to install the 10x barrel bushing. I've done this before multiple times, but for some reason I can't get the front sight pin to go back in cleanly this time. I mangled my 2 spare pins before stealing the pin from my production slide, and even that one just barely went in far enough. Now I have more spares, but I again mangled 2 pins trying to put them back into my production slide. Each time, the pin seems to go in unevenly then it kind of unravels and mushrooms. I've tried using a 5/64" roll pin punch (domed head) as well as a normal flat pin punch. Is there some trick to this? I can't figure out what I'm doing differently this time. I thought maybe the CO bushing alignment was slightly off, but I know the production barrel bushing is properly aligned.

Have you tried using roll pin holder punch? It’s a hollow punch that holds the pin while it starts, and once it goes in just enough, you can finish it with a regular punch. This should prevent the pin from unraveling; it just needs to make it in a little past that point so that it won’t unravel. I’ve used this method to install about 4 Cajun 10X Bushings. 

41 minutes ago, SouperMan said:

Have you tried using roll pin holder punch? It’s a hollow punch that holds the pin while it starts, and once it goes in just enough, you can finish it with a regular punch. This should prevent the pin from unraveling; it just needs to make it in a little past that point so that it won’t unravel. I’ve used this method to install about 4 Cajun 10X Bushings. 

No, I never even thought of that. Just ordered a set with a 5/64" starter punch to see if that makes this process easier. Thanks!

1 hour ago, vtecpaoche said:

You should order a 2mm roll pin punch.  The roll pin is metric.

I have both types of parallel punches (Starretts in inch, Wiha in mm), but I've used them interchangeably. 5/64" is very, very close to 2mm, and 5/64" pins are supposed to work fine in place of the 2mm front sight pin. I'll see what the tolerances on the starter punches are when they arrive.

On 11/4/2021 at 11:16 PM, slowhands said:

I have both types of parallel punches (Starretts in inch, Wiha in mm), but I've used them interchangeably. 5/64" is very, very close to 2mm, and 5/64" pins are supposed to work fine in place of the 2mm front sight pin. I'll see what the tolerances on the starter punches are when they arrive.

Well, the 5/64" starter punch fit over the 2mm pin just fine and made it much easier to get the process started, but then I still mangled 2 more pins. I have no idea what I'm doing differently. Between sights and bushings on multiple S2 and SP01 slides, I must have done this without issue close to a dozen times, and now I can't get a pin to go in cleanly for the life of me.

IMG_5887.jpg

34 minutes ago, vtecpaoche said:

Try seeing if the 2mm pin punch will go thru without issue all the way on it’s own.  If not, get a 2mm drill bit to make sure the space is clear for the punch to go all the way thru.

I did clean the hole up slightly with a drill bit in a pin vise, just in case the bushing was slightly misaligned. But I was also having trouble on the production slide I borrowed a pin from, and that one clears a 2mm punch without issue.

In any case, I grabbed the closest pin size I could from Ace this morning, 5/64" by 1/2", and the first pin went in perfectly on the first try. It's sufficiently tight, and while the pin is a little too long, the protruding ends aren't long enough to snag on anything.

definitely get a pin setting punch, or, make one. Drill a 3/32 hole in the end of a rod about 1/4 of the length of the pin, use that to start and even partially seat the pin. Looking at those ones you showed the pics of the hole is not clear all the way through, either the site or the bushing is catching the pin. Usually the pin will align them, but not always. I tend to use the setting punch, then a roll pin punch (the one with the nipple on the end, to do the finally drive in. 

1 hour ago, slavex said:

definitely get a pin setting punch, or, make one. Drill a 3/32 hole in the end of a rod about 1/4 of the length of the pin, use that to start and even partially seat the pin. Looking at those ones you showed the pics of the hole is not clear all the way through, either the site or the bushing is catching the pin. Usually the pin will align them, but not always. I tend to use the setting punch, then a roll pin punch (the one with the nipple on the end, to do the finally drive in. 

Correct way to assemble pins👍