Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame thickness

tomjerry1

That kinda depends on what part of the grip you are looking to reduce.

You can get away with reducing the thickness of the front strap a fair bit... I would stay away from the trigger track area (as it's pretty thin there and in the distant past there were frame redesigns to fix cracking in that area.)

I agree, the front strap is probably the best, just need some more so she can get a good grip. Probably could get some out of the main spring housing and grip safety. You wouldn't know anyone who has done this?

Edited by tomjerry1
addition

Also look at the grip safety, the rib sticks out a bunch

i have an old mclearn gun that he did a frame reduction, I don’t know what he did but it does feel smaller in the hand

you might check if he still does that kind of work

The front strap can be reduced by heavy checkering. Be careful and don't go too far down on the front strap you start to get into the flare for the magwell. I was usually  able to remove 0.020 off the sides without reducing structural integrity.  You can do a wrap around checkering on the back strap area to reduce size.

Rich

13 hours ago, rishii said:

Also look at the grip safety, the rib sticks out a bunch

i have an old mclearn gun that he did a frame reduction, I don’t know what he did but it does feel smaller in the hand

you might check if he still does that kind of work

Yea i was going to suggest checking with Matt. Not sure who else is actually actively building guns who would be as familiar with that frame  as Matt (since Rich who commented above is retired.) Maybe Fred Craig if he's still around.  Or Jim Anglin (Sailor's Custom) is probably retired.

• 2 weeks later...