Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone reverse the indexing of a 1050?

I have a 1050 dedicated to brass processing which I run with two universal decaping dies. Unfortunately that limits my ability to swage while processing brass.

Has anyone attempted to reverse the direction a 1050 indexes? That would put the swage station at the end of the process like the option on the CP2000. It doesn't seem hard to flip the casefeed shuttle over, or build a cartridge kicker for station 2.  The primer plunger could become a sensor for primer sizes too.

There's probably more than just flipping the index arm/paw. But it seems plausible when looking that press torn down.

6 hours ago, belus said:

I have a 1050 dedicated to brass processing which I run with two universal decaping dies. Unfortunately that limits my ability to swage while processing brass.

Has anyone attempted to reverse the direction a 1050 indexes? That would put the swage station at the end of the process like the option on the CP2000. It doesn't seem hard to flip the casefeed shuttle over, or build a cartridge kicker for station 2.  The primer plunger could become a sensor for primer sizes too.

There's probably more than just flipping the index arm/paw. But it seems plausible when looking that press torn down.

Why would you need to do any of that?  Just add the extra decapper on one of the last 3 stages. I’m pretty sure it was mentioned in another thread that one of them has a hole where the rare primer would fall through. 

I have an RL1100, and my processing toolhead (9mm) starts with the FW Arms popper decapper, then staging, then, on the other side in 6 and 7 I have a Lee and Dillon sizing/decapping dies, just to make sure. 

By all means, correct me if I’m wrong, but if the first decapper missed a primer, the swagger would still stage the case (and crush the spent primer), but then the other decapping die pops it out. I’ve only processed about 7,500 cases with this process, and the popper decapper hasn’t missed yet, so I can’t confirm this. But next time I swap toolheads to process, I’ll start a case or two in the swage location and see what happens. 

I've not yet bent a swage rod, though I've read of that happening. The press is automated so I won't be able to feel if a primer pulls back. If I could get a couple chances to decap before the swage station I would feel more comfortable swaging while processing. As it is, I swage when I load.

Drilling another hole for decapping would be pretty straight forward so I'm not worried about that.

letts look at why the CP2000 can swage on both sides. At the design stage some one was looking to automate. Ammo bot had a sensor (spitting cobra?).

That would remove a case that still had a primer,wrong size, etc. But with this you lost some of if not all swage ability. Sensor on right side and swage on left side.

What a great idea.

On 9/29/2021 at 12:38 PM, ddc said:

or you could go to a two-pass strategy that many automated uses eventually arrive at no matter how badly they tried to avoid it starting out... lol...

This is what I currently do because an automated press runs much more smoothly with pre processed brass. Being certain that my 9mm is decapped before its swaged is important to me so I currently do the swaging while loading.

Lots of automation stems from laziness and I'm no different. I process 40 and 9mm on the same press with the same tool head, shell plate, dies, etc.  One of these days I'm going to need to process a lot of 223, and if I can do the processing in a single pass with two decap dies and a swage station I'd be extra happy. The only way I can think to do this without a CP2000 is by reversing the index direction of a 1050/1100.

8 minutes ago, belus said:

...Lots of automation stems from laziness and I'm no different...

I hear ya, lol.

Sometimes I wonder how much time and energy I'm really saving by going automated.

I don't know the answer but I do know it's not as much as I thought I would starting out.

I know, blasphemy...