Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Using Dpms 45 Round Mags?

kdmoore

Mags are a bit pricey, so I think I'll not be the guinea pig. They reportedly were built with 3 gun in mind, and are hand tested for feed reliability.

But I know no mag is reliable in my AR till I test it (the CTD mags I had hand cycled fine, but gave me bullet over bolt failures 2 times out of 3).

Any experience, my search here turned up nothing.

got 5 & sent them back. where they were welded in the middle, there is slag on the inside everywhere. tried 2 of them & neither feed good. sent them back. If they would diamond braid them on the inside they might work. till then I will use my 30/45 ones w/ a ISMI spring.

I got two of them, and they are great! there was a little slag inside, but it didn't cause any problem, they were just great!! I spent some time fitting a mag-pul follower, but because of the long skirts on the Mag-Pul when loaded with 45 round the top rounds sat a bit base low. Switched back to the green follower it came with and they run great. I have seen a few others that looked like Benny describes so be ware!! I think they are good and I tried mono poding with perfect results. It is a much cheaper way to go compaired to the Sterling mags, and besides it built in the USA. KURTM

Would somebody please take a tape measure to the back of one of these mags?

I cut and silver soldered 2 of the British 30's. Left it as long as possible while maintaining the curve. It holds a flawless 43 rounds. It works too well to mess with, but I'd like to know if a new spring might get a few more rounds.

Mine is 10 and a 1/16". B)

Hmm.. It's only 1/2" longer than the POS 40 I got the spring from. Bet my tube is short. :ph34r:

I'm looking forward to having some good quality 40+ round magazines....the steel 40 round mystery mags I got at the SAR Show last year are starting to crap out on me. The metal is soft and they're getting bent/beat up. I had to buy 6 of the mystery mags to get 3 that worked.

DPMS says they'll have more 45 rounders available in December...

Edited by SinistralRifleman

Thanks Benny. DPMS says that they test these with "hand cycling", but sounds like they have some pretty low standards. If they were cheap enough, I'd order 10 and keep the 3 best and send the rest back. Guess I could do that with a credit card, just have to make sure I don't get lazy. But, in the mean time, I found some 30/45's that I'm negotiating on right now.

kurtm, sounds like you got them on a good day. I thought about using a magpul follower on my long mags to help with feeding, so thanks for that info. Saves me the hassel.

kellyn, look forward to hearing about it.

Snuck off to the range today and I dropped some green followers in the CTD 40 round mags. The problems I mentioned in my other thread (bullet over bolt) went completely away. You should have seen the crappy follower that was used! I'm not sure how much I'll ever trust these.

Edited by kdmoore

On a similar note, I was in the local gun shop today and saw some Bushmaster 40 rounds mags. Anyone tries these? I wanna say they were $34.

Just curious.

I thought about these too, but looking here they aren't well thought of (despite the BM name). Don't know if BM will stand by them? Most thought that they were usa mags, or one of the other cheap steel mags.

That same research lead me to the 40 round mags from CTD. They were ~$13. I got 3, and had bullet over bolt failures out of all of them. Replaced the followers (which are very minimal) and they've run perfect since in the limited shooting I've done. I also haven't fit them to my rifle so they don't drop free.

I just shot my last 3 gun till it warms a bit, so I'll tinker in the "off season".

HTH