Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SAR K12 Sport - All the Upgrades

pewpewdp

I’m actually selling a heavily upgraded version SAR K12 Sport on GunBroker right now: 

My intention in sharing this is honestly not about selling it but capturing for posterity what upgrades work and which don’t, along with links to all the items. This has been a fun / crazy journey and want to give back to the community.

First: a special shout out to Henning Wallgren (of Henning Group) who patiently helped me at various points on this journey, and who actually has a SAR K12 and could test fit certain items (rather than just guess).

Main Points (I go into more detail later):

• Most (not all) internal parts for the Tanfoglio Small Frame will work
    • Henning Group and Patriot Defense are a great source of upgrades for Tanfoglio
    • I’ve been told that it’s most similar to a Tanfoglio Witness Elite Limited, but I can’t confirm that
  • Magazines: takes standard CZ 75 magazines
  • Rear sight: EAA SUPER SIGHT (LPA/Bomar style)
  • Front sight: some weird Tanfo-specific thing (you’ll be surprised which Dawson front sight actually works… see below)

What DIDN’T work (so you learn from my mistakes)

• Henning Base pads on OEM SAR K12 mags
    • Issue: They will slide on but they will just pop right off when they hit the ground.
    • Easy solution: just buy regular Mec-Gar CZ75 mags and put the same Henning Base pads on those. They work perfectly.
  • Henning extended firing pin (H051-TL X-Long Firing Pin for Tanfoglio, HENNING GROUP - X-Long Firing Pin for Tanfoglio)
    • Issue: It would have required modification for both length and taper
    • Easy solution: Patriot Defense has one that just drops in
  • RedX Gear holster
    • Issue: really tight fit, and terrible customer service (that’s a whole saga in itself)
    • Easy solution: modify it or buy a different one (perhaps there are more options now?)

What DID work (so you learn from my successes)

INTERNALS

EXTERNALS

FYI… I worked with a gunsmith who is also a competition shooter who understands performance and tuning. In addition to installing and fitting all of these parts, he also

• Chamfered outside edge of firing pin hole
  • Polished breech face and rails
  • Ramped and polished the feed ramp
  • Magwell: perfect blending of removal of any edges (see photo)
  • Overall polish and deburr

Edited by ima45dv8
removed link to off-site auction per Forum Guidelines

You're new here, so please review the Forum Guidelines, conveniently located at the top of every forum page.

Per those guidelines, I removed the link to your GB sale.

Otherwise, thanks for sharing your experiences.

-Admin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info on the sights for my K12. I did order +5 mag extentions from Taylor Freelance. They are the ones for a CZ 75. Work just Great and do not fall off. You can get in colors as well. 

does the front sight from Dawson work with the stock rear sight?

Thanks Much

Michigan Mike

Please respond to my e-mail address

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I picked one up today and compared it to my CZ Shadow 2 and found the CZ factory mags will lock in but not hold the slide open when empty, with my MEC-GAR mag not even locking in at all even though it works fine in the CZ.

The K12 mags seem to function fine in the CZ.

Edited by PeteT
Typo

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/5/2021 at 12:29 PM, pewpewdp said:

I’m actually selling a heavily upgraded version SAR K12 Sport on GunBroker right now: 

My intention in sharing this is honestly not about selling it but capturing for posterity what upgrades work and which don’t, along with links to all the items. This has been a fun / crazy journey and want to give back to the community.

First: a special shout out to Henning Wallgren (of Henning Group) who patiently helped me at various points on this journey, and who actually has a SAR K12 and could test fit certain items (rather than just guess).

Main Points (I go into more detail later):

• Most (not all) internal parts for the Tanfoglio Small Frame will work
    • Henning Group and Patriot Defense are a great source of upgrades for Tanfoglio
    • I’ve been told that it’s most similar to a Tanfoglio Witness Elite Limited, but I can’t confirm that
  • Magazines: takes standard CZ 75 magazines
  • Rear sight: EAA SUPER SIGHT (LPA/Bomar style)
  • Front sight: some weird Tanfo-specific thing (you’ll be surprised which Dawson front sight actually works… see below)

What DIDN’T work (so you learn from my mistakes)

• Henning Base pads on OEM SAR K12 mags
    • Issue: They will slide on but they will just pop right off when they hit the ground.
    • Easy solution: just buy regular Mec-Gar CZ75 mags and put the same Henning Base pads on those. They work perfectly.
  • Henning extended firing pin (H051-TL X-Long Firing Pin for Tanfoglio, HENNING GROUP - X-Long Firing Pin for Tanfoglio)
    • Issue: It would have required modification for both length and taper
    • Easy solution: Patriot Defense has one that just drops in
  • RedX Gear holster
    • Issue: really tight fit, and terrible customer service (that’s a whole saga in itself)
    • Easy solution: modify it or buy a different one (perhaps there are more options now?)

What DID work (so you learn from my successes)

INTERNALS

EXTERNALS

FYI… I worked with a gunsmith who is also a competition shooter who understands performance and tuning. In addition to installing and fitting all of these parts, he also

• Chamfered outside edge of firing pin hole
  • Polished breech face and rails
  • Ramped and polished the feed ramp
  • Magwell: perfect blending of removal of any edges (see photo)
  • Overall polish and deburr

Hey Man, I know its a pretty old post but do you have the part number for the extended firing pin? That link doesnt work anymore and I ordered a Tanfo small frame firing pin but it doesnt fit.