Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Holster to start a Jr off with

Modoc

Greetings All, 

My Jr is burnt out on CAS and showing some interest in shooting USPSA.  We will be shooting Single Stack/L-10 and I am looking for suggestions that will not bust the bank.  I have my SS rig from some years ago (CR Speed I/O belt, Blackhawk Mag Carriers, and Blackhawk SERPA) and my Ted Blocker “Wild Bunch” rig from CAS.  I am looking at replacing the SERPA and possibly build a second rig.

He’ll be shooting my back-up 1911 in 9mm.

I started my kids off with BladeTech Classic holsters. That was well over 10 years or so ago. I’ve been using the same one I bought even before that and it’s still going strong. Yes, it costs 2x what the Signature model costs, but there’s a reason for that. 

BladeTechs good stuff tends to be excellent, but I don’t like their cheaper line at all, and I would NOT recommend ANY of their mag holders. They are crap. 

For our mag holders it seems that our CR-Speed, CompTac and DAA get used the most. The rest are for when friends come and shoot with us. 

Everyone, Thanks for the input. I am waiting for the nod from my book keeper (wife) before purchasing. I’m leaning towards the Bladetech Classic, because we have been happy with hers (Springfield EMP 9). The comp Tac is high up there too. I’m probably going to get/make some belt keepers for the Ted Blocker rig and get a third matching mag pouch. 

Cuz, I was just looking and the Ted Blocker Double Mag Carrier is $80!

That’s almost what I paid for 4 Blackhawk! Mag carriers. Quick side note, a Blackhawk! Single Stack mag carrier will comfortably hold a Leatherman Wave while a double stack will hold a Leatherman Surge

30 minutes ago, Modoc said:

Cuz, I was just looking and the Ted Blocker Double Mag Carrier is $80!

That’s almost what I paid for 4 Blackhawk! Mag carriers. Quick side note, a Blackhawk! Single Stack mag carrier will comfortably hold a Leatherman Wave while a double stack will hold a Leatherman Surge

I would recommend you do what I did for my kids. Get the CR Speed Versa Mag pouches. Lots of places sell them, and I think they are $30 each at Shooters Connection, which is also a great place to get a 2 piece competition belt if you need one. The best thing about the CR Speed pouches is their flexibility. Today he is going to shoot a 1911. Next year it may be a Glock, and the year after that a 2011. The Versa Pouches have inserts that allow them to work with a lot of different guns. I was using them myself for many years. I had 4 black ones, then I rotated them to my kids and gave one kid 3 red and the other 3 blue, so they each have 5 alternating colors and they love them. One kid shoots Glock, the other a 2011. They are very versatile pouches. 

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

I would recommend you do what I did for my kids. Get the CR Speed Versa Mag pouches. Lots of places sell them, and I think they are $30 each at Shooters Connection, which is also a great place to get a 2 piece competition belt if you need one. The best thing about the CR Speed pouches is their flexibility. Today he is going to shoot a 1911. Next year it may be a Glock, and the year after that a 2011. The Versa Pouches have inserts that allow them to work with a lot of different guns. I was using them myself for many years. I had 4 black ones, then I rotated them to my kids and gave one kid 3 red and the other 3 blue, so they each have 5 alternating colors and they love them. One kid shoots Glock, the other a 2011. They are very versatile pouches. 

Cuz

I like that idea, but right now he will be using my USPSA setup with an upgraded holster. If he likes and continues with USPSA, we will upgrade the mag carriers. I will probably carry my extra two mags in the back pocket for now.