Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thick new #5 / 9mm shell plate on RL1050

20 hours ago, Cuz said:

Quick question, how much powder gets sprinkled on your shell plate after a few hundred rounds?

My 1100 sprinkles TiteGroup to the point that after about 5-700 rounds the press needs cleaning. It could be because the powder mixes with the grease. But it still seems excessive. 

Are you saying that pic is after loading 30,000 rounds since the last cleaning???

Cuz I take the powder measure apart after every loading cession, which is approx 2,000 rounds. Wipe down the powder bar with alcohol , Clean out all the residue.  These machines have tighter tolerances than the 650. They need to cleaned and serviced when its needed . I only use CFE pistol for my 9mm loading, I have zero powder on the shell plate. Hope this helps.

Edited by Johnnymazz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Johnnymazz said:

Cuz I take the powder measure apart after every loading cession, which is approx 2,000 rounds. Wipe down the powder bar with alcohol , Clean out all the residue.  These machines have tighter tolerances than the 650. They need to cleaned and serviced when its needed . I only use CFE pistol for my 9mm loading, I have zero powder on the shell plate. Hope this helps.

Well that's interesting.  I don't think I've ever taken a powder measure apart and cleaned it in over 25 years!  And I have 4 of them for my 550 press.  I'll have to keep an eye on it the next time I break down the press to switch from loading to processing, which should be in about 1000 more rounds, as soon as I get a chance to chrono my current test load.

I'm not sure I understand how the Lyman M die works.  How is your processing toolhead setup?  What do you use in the powder drop station that doesn't flare the case?

Two pass processing is all starting to make more sense to me. Looking at Johnny’s set up he is depriming and resizing multiple times and swaging on his first tool head that will support all 9mm rounds that he will then process based on a dedicated tool head for each set up.

Johnny - correct me if I am wrong but your “loading” toolheads utilize the following steps (stations)

1 - Drop case

2 - Empty

3 - The M die for belling the case (and swage hold down if necessary)

4 - Priming

5 - Powder drop (case is already belled by M die so powder funnel only has to go ever so slightly into the case mouth opening to drop the charge)

6 - MBF

7- Seat

8 - Crimp

Am I close to being correct?

Edited by Sigarmsp226

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Two pass processing is all starting to make more sense to me. Looking at Johnny’s set up he is depriming and resizing multiple times and swaging on his first tool head that will support all 9mm rounds that he will then process based on a dedicated tool head for each set up.

Johnny - correct me if I am wrong but your “loading” toolheads utilize the following steps (stations)

1 - Drop case

2 - Empty

4 - Priming

5 - Powder drop (case is already belled by M die so powder funnel only has to go ever so slightly into the case mouth opening to drop the charge)

6 - MBF

7- Seat

8 - Crimp

Mark, that’s pretty much my setup for reloading processed brass. Instead of an M die, I’m using a Dillon hold down die (works like the M die) and a Redding comp seating die.

It’s the tool head on the left. If I had to use a different powder, I just remove  the existing powder measure and install another with a different powder in it.

D55-F3-BA6-D311-43-DA-B472-2-CF785-E2-D9

Edited by George16

5 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

1 - Drop case

2 - Empty

4 - Priming

6 - MBF

7- Seat

8 - Crimp

My cases are full length resized and primed before they go through the tool heads I showed you.

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2021 at 8:30 PM, Johnnymazz said:

I have a separate tool head to prime my cases. Station #2 is a Lee Universal decapping dye, just in case , to make sure a case doesnt go through the machine and tries to get primed, with a spent primer in the hole. 

239954010_864399597531297_4476985085271569912_n.jpg

Johnny,

Does that mean you are using 3 passes to load?  1st pass on the CP2000 to prep, then 2nd pass on the 1100 to prime, then 3rd pass on the 1100 to load?

If this is the case, do you lube for each pass?  I would like to know more about your process steps, and more about the “m” die that prevents sticking at the powder drop station. 

Thanks.