Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Simulator Training and Glocks

Stafford

I have access to train regularly using a firearms simulator. It can be used for law enforcement situations, general target practice while being timed, and various gaming situations. The pistols used are Glock 17's made to run with CO2 to provide recoil. It's really a lot of fun to practice on and provides excellent feedback and access to shoot fast, on the move, etc.... I don't do it very often, but I could train on it regularly if I wanted to. Much cheaper than live ammo, but it would have me training with the Glock if I made it a regular practice. 

I shoot a Shadow 2 in competition and dry fire with it regularly. The grip is a bit different between the two. If I start to train regularly with the simulator, would it make sense to move away from the CZ for competition and start dry firing and competing with my Glocks?

I'm not sure if that is the equivalent of the F.A.T.S system used by LE. Those are video-based systems in which the officer has to react to the various scenarios with real time feedback. The guns are G17's fitted with lasers that interact with the screen.

Decades ago, the local police dpt invited me down to train on theirs. Very instructive. They can modify any given scenario so it is different each time. Very easy to make tactical mistakes. You wanna get some respect for what LEO go through, this will do it.

Yes, it is that type of system and the screen is beyond 180 degrees so it surrounds you. The LE systems do allow for interaction for real life scenarios and does give you a great appreciation for what officers deal with.

However, it also has basic training functions which allow you to shoot at targets under time to see how many you can hit. Or you're in a video game scenario where zombies, ninjas or terrorists are around every corner in a street fight scenario and you've got to put them down quickly before they get to you. Both the timed targets and video game situations require quick reaction and accuracy and are seemingly good practice for competition.

I would think any laser sets it off but I could be wrong. I demod a bunch of simulators when the NRA convention was in town a few years ago. They sure are nice and you can learn a lot from them, they all used different guns but they all had a red/IR laser.

Maybe check out the cool fire laser trainer and see if that would work.