Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Chrome a Cerakote pistol?

00MGN

I would like to know if anyone has had a 2011 hard chromed when it was originally cerakoted? What were the results? Was it still tight on the lockup? Thank you in advance.

I sent my cerakoted open gun to APW for hard chroming. I told them to let me know if there were fit issues. They said there were no issues and when I got it back it was as perfect and has been for years now.

24 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I sent my cerakoted open gun to APW for hard chroming. I told them to let me know if there were fit issues. They said there were no issues and when I got it back it was as perfect and has been for years now.

Did you send it to them with the cerakote still on it or did you tumble or media blast it off?

13 hours ago, 00MGN said:

Did you send it to them with the cerakote still on it or did you tumble or media blast it off?

I sent it to them cerakoted. I was going to try to strip it but for a minimal fee they did everything.

Perfect, that is what I wanted to hear. I was worried that the tolerance would go to crap since, as I understand it, cerakote is about .001 thickness and with stacking that could make an insanely sloppy pistol.

11 hours ago, 00MGN said:

Perfect, that is what I wanted to hear. I was worried that the tolerance would go to crap since, as I understand it, cerakote is about .001 thickness and with stacking that could make an insanely sloppy pistol.

1. There's not going to be any stacking because the chrome isn't going to be on top of the cerakote.  They'll media blast to remove the Cerakote, then chrome the bare metal.  2. If anything, stacking would make the fits tighter, not looser.  3. Chrome thickness can vary depending on how it's applied, but is typically .003 - .005 in commercial applications, although thicknesses from .0002 - .020 are possible.  4.  Most likely, the fits will be pretty much the same as what you have now, maybe a bit tighter, which should break in just fine after a little use.  5. I would make a point to discuss your concerns with whoever is doing the plating so they know what your expectations are.

Edited by ltdmstr

A cerakoted gun doesn’t have any coating on the rails or the barrel’s locking lugs or any other fitment-related component.

This is for a variety of reasons, the most prominent of which being that the cerakote would get stripped off such heavily loaded components in short order.

(I’m a fairly experienced cerakote applicator who has done most of his own weapons, and a few for family members.)

You’ll have no issues with the gun being sloppier than it is now.

Edited by MemphisMechanic