Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

L&r Hcs-200 Ultrasonic Cleaner

johnnydelva

hi i am thinking of getting one of these ultrasonic cleaning units as the other models seem way to expensive (for a home user)... it doesn't have heating which seems to be the thing with the more expensive units.. has any used one of these units? and do you really require one with heating? thanks in advance everyone.

Johnny, it depends on what kind of solvent/cleaner your going to use. I have a heated Crest ultra sonic and use Crest solvent as well as Simple Green. The Crest solution will destroy the thin coating on the fiber optic but that doesn't bother me. I personally don't notice any degredation in light gathering ability. I have no experience with a non heated unit but I think you will be very disappointed. Even with a heated unit you still have to do some scrubbing, especially on a revolver. ANYTHING HC'ed such as your Edge would clean up the best.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Well it's an old thread but I wanted to see if it had new life. Having just purchased an Ultrasonic heated cleaner I wanted to see what solutions work best for gun cleaning. I'm thinking water and simple green mixture should be effective. It's a bonus if it takes lead out of compensators. Anybody have recommendations?

I use Slip 2000 Cleaner degreaser in the one I have at work, and Brownells d'Solve in the one I have at home. Both units are heated the one at home is big, I can put a 8" revolver in it, the one at work is not that big. Both cleaners will do the job if the unit is heated, very little brushing if any needed.

Greg in VA

I use Slip 2000 Cleaner degreaser in the one I have at work, and Brownells d'Solve in the one I have at home. Both units are heated the one at home is big, I can put a 8" revolver in it, the one at work is not that big. Both cleaners will do the job if the unit is heated, very little brushing if any needed.

Greg in VA

Do you know what temp you heat it to and how long you let it run?

I don't know the Temp on the (2) that I use they don't have external temp controls. I just allow them to run for about 20 minutes before I put the gun or parts in, then, I will allow the unit to run for 15-20 minutes then I check the gun or parts. Somtimes you need to do a little scrubbing on real dirty parts to allow the cleaner to get a foot hold on the dirt. I will sometimes run a part or gun about 3 cycles and when it comes out it is spotless.

Greg

• 1 month later...

I was flipping through some gunzine at the grcoery store and an article was about using an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning brass.

Anyone here every try using an ultrasonic cleaner for their brass?

It would be a good way to keep the (lead contaminated?) dust down.

(Yeah, I do the used dryer sheet trick on my tumbler and separator too.)

I've got one of those Harbor Freight cleaners. It's big enough to fit a disassembled full size 1911. As a bonus, it will fit any of my o/u shotgun receivers. I've had it for over a year with no problems. I use Simple Green to degrease/clean parts. It's a little noisy though, and it doesn't have a heater. I got mine on sale and used the discount coupon from one of their flyers, so I think it was closer to $110.

It works great for cleaning shooting glasses too :)