Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vr 80 mags jamming

Mbucz

So picked up the vr80 a few months ago. Shot two 3gun matches with it. My 19 round magazine seems to jam after a get a few rounds fired. I took the magazine apart and found alot of dust and sand in them. Any tips to keep them clean and dirt free? Also have a feel times the round gets stuck while being chambered, and I have to push the bolt forward to get it to load.

a friend shooting a vr80 had a similar issue with his 19round mags where the mid clamp was squeezing the metal mag a bit too tight and he adjusted it a bit and the follower stopped getting stuck halfway up the mag. might be a place to look into. maybe wrap the mag in tape to close all those big holes in the sides of the mags to keep it cleaner?

different mag and gun, but my KL12 in hot weather especially gets somewhat picky about hull quailty.  anything fiocchi doesnt work basically, super soft hulls, work great in tube guns though. fed bulk is passable usually. but anytime i'm shooting more than trap or sporting clays i.e. full mags i run a premium hull type, remington nitro or sts, winchester aa, federal gold, they all seem to run well hot or cold.  its especially an issue with cheap hulls when the top round is seated against the bottom of the bolt in an empty chamber start for any length of time, it may oval from mag pressure and not chamber nicely. 

On 6/8/2021 at 11:28 AM, Mbucz said:

So picked up the vr80 a few months ago. Shot two 3gun matches with it. My 19 round magazine seems to jam after a get a few rounds fired. I took the magazine apart and found alot of dust and sand in them. Any tips to keep them clean and dirt free? Also have a feel times the round gets stuck while being chambered, and I have to push the bolt forward to get it to load.

I struggled with mine when i first got it.  It was skinning the shells sometimes as they went into the chamber.  I broke the sharp edge of the chamber with some emery cloth and it helped a ton.  Might be something you can check out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 10:57 AM, VU2AKILL said:

I struggled with mine when i first got it.  It was skinning the shells sometimes as they went into the chamber.  I broke the sharp edge of the chamber with some emery cloth and it helped a ton.  Might be something you can check out.

Can you take a pic of were you buffed it?

19 hours ago, Mbucz said:

Can you take a pic of were you buffed it?

Going to be really hard to see in a pic.  I am refering to the outer edge of the chamber where the rim of the shell would sit.  Mine was very sharp and the upper edge of it would grab or skin shells with a soft hull(Walmart Winchester).  If yours has a sharp edge, just break it a little so it can't dig into anything.