Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tru Glo Fiber Optic Sights, The Poor Man's Dawson

Newguy

I decided to try out rear and front fiber optic sights for my G34. Although the Dawson was the logical choice, I just couldn't see spending $120 for a sight system I wasn't sure I wanted. So, I decided that for under $50 I'd try the Tru Glo sights.

For whatever reason, the sights were designed with a green rear and red front. (The fiber optic rods are permanently attached.) It probably should have been reversed since the rears were so bright that they drowned out the front sights. Took some black market and colored the top of the fiber optic rod which really tamed the green down. The sights shot more or less to POA, although at 25 yds it may have been an inch or two high. They were definitely fast to acquire.

I'm surprised at how well made these metal sights are. The fiber optics on the front and rear are so recessed that you'd have to purposely try to destroy them. The sights also use a set screw and fit snugly in the dovetail. I think it's a great buy for under $50 and I'd be surprised if they don't hold up.

If you spend $20 more, you get the ones with fiber AND tritium...way cool. The front is a bit wider than I normally like, and I darkened the back glowy bits as you did. The G22 that I have these on has been fuctioning as a "tactical" gun for police matches and the like; so far, so good.

Alex

If you spend $20 more, you get the ones with fiber AND tritium...way cool. The front is a bit wider than I normally like, and I darkened the back glowy bits as you did. The G22 that I have these on has been fuctioning as a "tactical" gun for police matches and the like; so far, so good.

Alex

Where can I get these sights? I have beening looking at them for some time now. I would like a little more input on the fiber & tritium sights. I'm thinking about putting some on my G35 for duty carry.

Thanks,

Kevin

Alex

Where can I get these sights? I have beening looking at them for some time now. I would like a little more input on the fiber & tritium sights. I'm thinking about putting some on my G35 for duty carry.

Thanks,

Kevin

Midway has them too.

I've had them on my 35 for close to a year, now. I like them a lot. Only problem I've heard about but not experienced is that supposedly gunscrubber(brake cleaner--whatever) makes the fiber brittle. I try to keep from getting any on mine but I haven't had much success at that. Anyway, I take a (water)damp paper towel or napkin & wipe mine down with it when they start getting dirty. I would say for the price, they are excellent! MLM

Thanks Alex!

My wife wants a big fiber front sight to replace the factory Glock 35 sight.. this looks pretty close.

Dave, if you'd like to have it, I've got a Hi Viz Glock Front Sight in Green, still in the factory wrap that you can have, I got it off a prize table last month, it was the only firearms' related item left on the table by the time I got there...If you'd like it, I'll put it in my bag and you can have it at the next match in Richmond...

mikey

• 1 month later...

I just ordered a set from my old shop. MAN! I like saying that. My old shop!

Oh, anyway, I saw a set on a friend's G17, and I loved them. With my poor night vision, they're definitely going to help me in the upcoming S&W Winter Championship. I've been shooting that match since 2003, and have never been able to see my sights during the dark stages (approx. 70% of the match). Damn! Now I won't have an excuse when Dave beats me again! Maybe I can sprain my ankle before then!

Are these good fast sights for L10 and SSP?

How do the tritium versions compare?

I've got a set of the Tru Glo TFO (that's what they're calling the Tritium + fiber optic models) and I couldn't be happier. I didn't really care about Tritium 'cause the gun is for shooting Production, not for carrying, but all Cabelas had in stock the day I was there was the TFO.

I've shot plates with and without white paint and both bullseye and "defense" targets in both orange and black and haven't had any problems at all picking up the front sight. They made a huge difference to these aging eyes.

Someone else mentioned how ruggedly the rear sight is made. It's tough enough that I didn't feel at all bad whacking it into place myself instead of taking it to somebody with a sight pusher!

John

I have had them for about 6 months on my limited G35 and really like them. I shoot a Thursday night match out here in AZ pretty regularly so the tritium helps and on regular days the fiber glows great. A good buy, I was able to get the dual set for $70.

• 3 weeks later...
I have had them for about 6 months on my limited G35 and really like them. I shoot a Thursday night match out here in AZ pretty regularly so the tritium helps and on regular days the fiber glows great. A good buy, I was able to get the dual set for $70.

Any more available at that price? :rolleyes: