Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wheelgun Newbie Needs Spring Help!

eringobragh

Hey Gang,

I picked up a 686 to try some SSR division in IDPA for a change, and need some spring help! What spring combos are some of you using? I'd like to get the DA down as light as possible, but still have reliable ignition with the CCI primers I use. I was considering the Miculek spring kit, but I can't use Federal primers.

Vic Pickett vpickett@neta.com

Vic has a spring kit that works very well. My preference is not to lose the ability to run Winchester primers and factory loads on some of my stuff.

I think his spring kit may be the answer but you will have to ask him about CCI primers. I gave those up years ago..

According to Jerry Miculek DVD Trigger JOB CCI has recently worked on their primers and have made them much more reliable for us people with light triggers. I haven't tested the new CCI primers yet. Since I can get Federals I have no reason to switch.

What I have found in the past is that if you have 42 oz of hammer fall on a 625 you should have reliable ignition with any primer. On a 686 you can go lower. I run 32 oz on my 627 and Federal and Winchester will fire 100 %.

Try the new CCI and try Winchesters if your store stocks them.

I don't use aftermarket springs in my S&W revolvers, but instead I alter the factory springs to create the lightened and balanced tension I'm seeking. Easier to demonstrate than to describe, but basically it involves shortening the rebound spring and bending the mainspring. Done correctly in conjunction with a light action hone, a great DA trigger pull can be created that will last indefinitely.

I get reliable ignition from CCI primers using the hand seating tool from Lee.

They work together with the Wolf spring kit main spring I bought for my 686 but use in the 625.

If primers are seated only with my Dillon 550 it's not 100% reliable, thats why I take them out from the press and use the hand priming tool to set them deeper.

It's a PTA to reload that way and as soon as I run out of the CCI's I'm going back to Federal primers....