Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Volquartsen Black Mamba

cbrussell

Do you really need a compensator on a .22 lr on a very low recoil  V-Black Mamba? And does the longer length model alter the balance and feel of the weapon? Any effect on the overall weight? I'm old and weak.

(Consider me a rookie... been away from guns since @ 1973... )

• 1 month later...

I def prefer the 4.5" for RFPO, 6" for RFPI. 

If only one I'd choose the 4.5" - which is what I have, but I will say that the balance of the 6" is alot less of an issue if you use the Tempest grips from Tandemkross / Creekside Customs, it puts more weight in the back of the gun and the Volq barrel weighs next to nothing.

On 5/14/2024 at 1:09 PM, Jury-Pool-Reject said:

Do you find you need to clean the V more often than another .22 without a compensator?

Nope, it runs very well and requires minimal cleaning in my experience. Most important part I clean is the feedramp. The bolt just gets a good wipe. I find with most 22 pistols, you don't actually want to oil them. Just clean the bolt with whatever solvent you use and then wipe clean.

My wife's #1 Mamba-X experienced a catastrophic failure.  The pin capture feature on the Bolt Stop Pin failed during live fire.  When the pin departed the action opened and the thin pin capture hole feature on the upper cracked.  I'd guess that gun has seen at least 30K rounds and is out of warranty, but this is not a failure that I would ever expect to see.

The lower is undamaged save for the pin.  From a durability standpoint a 22lr "1911" would probably be a better choice, but she has aged out of running a heavier gun in Steel Challenge.  Bummer.

4 hours ago, Jury-Pool-Reject said:

Maybe a Sig S P322... ?  (Not that I know anything... rookie/novice)

Don't waste your time, (and money) on those "Service-Pistol" style .22's, no matter who makes them. Not very accurate, flimsy build quality. My 2 cents.

8 hours ago, Prange said:

Don't waste your time, (and money) on those "Service-Pistol" style .22's, no matter who makes them. Not very accurate, flimsy build quality. My 2 cents.

Wouldn't consider same, but the 22lr uppers on 1911 or 2011 lowers would do the job nicely, just likely too heavy for my wife.  Volquartsen is stuck with most parts in the Ruger lower, but I wouldn't expect something like the Bolt Stop Pin to ever fail.  OTOH, how many put 40K rounds through these guns (competition folks for sure).

6 hours ago, RickT said:

Wouldn't consider same, but the 22lr uppers on 1911 or 2011 lowers would do the job nicely, just likely too heavy for my wife.  Volquartsen is stuck with most parts in the Ruger lower, but I wouldn't expect something like the Bolt Stop Pin to ever fail.  OTOH, how many put 40K rounds through these guns (competition folks for sure).

The old Marvel Unit 1 conversion uppers were very light compared to the Advantage Arms, or Nelson units.  They were made of 7075 aluminum with an aluminum sight rail.  I don't have any experience with the newest Unit 1 conversions made by FCW, but they list the slide as 7075.  The Nelson has a steel sight rail.  I think both the Advantage Arms and Nelson have thicker 6065 aluminum slides.  I don't know if the Advantage Arms sight rail is steel or aluminum.

I have both a Nelson and an older Marvel Unit 1.  The Marvel is quite a bit lighter.  I chopped both sight rails off even with the front of the ejection port when the slide is closed to save some weight.  I haven't gotten around to shaving down the rest of the sight rail, but will eventually. (LOL, I've had the Marvel since 2008 or 2009)  I milled the Nelson sight rail to mount an Arisaka micro red dot adapter  https://arisakadefense.com/offset-optic-plate-only/ and am currently using a RST2 with an 8 moa dot.  I have both conversion units mounted to STI 2011 frames with the old polymer grips, the Marvel is mounted to an old Open gun with a frame mounted C-More and the Nelson is on an old Limited gun standard frame.   I have the Nelson aluminum compensator on both guns and I also use the Nelson recoil buffer in both guns.

I use the Nelson 2011 magazines.  Advantage Arms also sells a 2011 magazine, but their magazine only has a single guide rib in the magazine spring channel, which lets the magazine spring kink.  The Nelson has a guide rib on both sides of the magazine spring channel.

The Buck Mark weighs 2.4lbs, the Marvel weighs 2.4lbs and the Nelson weighs 2.8lbs.

Nolan

IMG_3455.JPEG

Edited by Nolan
DOH! forgot to include the weights and photo

I bought a 4.6" Mamba receiver from the Volquartsen website clearance section.  Added it to my MKIV lower that I had upgraded with all Volquartsen parts and have been extremely happy with the pistol for Steel Challenge (and I saved a little $$$ too).  

5 hours ago, Nolan said:

The old Marvel Unit 1 conversion uppers were very light compared to the Advantage Arms, or Nelson units.  They were made of 7075 aluminum with an aluminum sight rail.  I don't have any experience with the newest Unit 1 conversions made by FCW, but they list the slide as 7075.  The Nelson has a steel sight rail.  I think both the Advantage Arms and Nelson have thicker 6065 aluminum slides.  I don't know if the Advantage Arms sight rail is steel or aluminum.

I have both a Nelson and an older Marvel Unit 1.  The Marvel is quite a bit lighter.  I chopped both sight rails off even with the front of the ejection port when the slide is closed to save some weight.  I haven't gotten around to shaving down the rest of the sight rail, but will eventually. (LOL, I've had the Marvel since 2008 or 2009)  I milled the Nelson sight rail to mount an Arisaka micro red dot adapter  https://arisakadefense.com/offset-optic-plate-only/ and am currently using a RST2 with an 8 moa dot.  I have both conversion units mounted to STI 2011 frames with the old polymer grips, the Marvel is mounted to an old Open gun with a frame mounted C-More and the Nelson is on an old Limited gun standard frame.   I have the Nelson aluminum compensator on both guns and I also use the Nelson recoil buffer in both guns.

I use the Nelson 2011 magazines.  Advantage Arms also sells a 2011 magazine, but their magazine only has a single guide rib in the magazine spring channel, which lets the magazine spring kink.  The Nelson has a guide rib on both sides of the magazine spring channel.

The Buck Mark weighs 2.4lbs, the Marvel weighs 2.4lbs and the Nelson weighs 2.8lbs.

Nolan

IMG_3455.JPEG

WHAT NOLAN SAID…Wow, great post.

I’m 75, with biceps and forearms smaller than my wife’s, so those 3 guns are way too heavy for me. I’m looking for a light weight .22 accurate target pistol with a red dot right on the rail.

-Brian, the rookie/ novice in New England, trying to read & learn

I have a VQ Black Mamba and hit GM with it in SCSA. Aside from a hammer spring housing working loose (that’s a Ruger OEM part I believe) that I had to take out and red loctite together (only a $20 part), my pistol has been flawless for 5000 rounds so far