Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Meprolight micro RDS.... mounting pattern?

cas

Meprolite's website shows adapters for several pistols, CZ Shadow, Glock, S&W M&P, H&K VP9, that go into the rear sight dovetail.  Also, there are two specific mount plates for S&W M&P CORE and Glock MOS pistols.  The sight itself fastens to what looks like a short single slot Pic rail that's part of the dovetail  mount or CORE/MOS mounting plates.  None of these appear to be anything like the common RMR/Vortex/DPP/Holosun and similar mounts.

Yep.. know all about that. They sell it in three different setups, propriety rear sight QD mount, adaptor plate and sight only (which depending on when it was made, may or may not come with a 1913 rail mount) All that aside, they still have mounting holes in them like every other sight. Trying to find out if it's one of the industry standards or propriety,  (I contacted someone that I sort of know that works for Mepro, but they were of no help. May have to try other official avenues there)  

• 7 months later...

so now a few months later...

CAS; sorry but its proprietary, i asked.

the space between my slide and the RDS sight means that i have a bullseye at 21' but two inches low at 70'.

i can use 'Kentucky' windage but am looking for something more.

most especially as we have a loose fellowship of shooters and a free competition on 81/2" x 11" paper targets. mostly at 21' but always one at full indoor range length. and finally a one shot one by everyone. 

i was always a steel shooter and sold my Colt Gold Cup years ago. now i need to be a bit more accurate. How to do that without buying more guns, milling , or different sights?

any ideas?

Edited by Max It

• 4 weeks later...

Meprolight now 11 months old. Still not able to shoot paper indoor competition well; some targets at 7 yards, some at 15. I have to set the RDS at either and wing it for the other. I am not sure what to do next.

much obliged for reading,

Max

You are dealing with an unsolvable difference between point-of-aim vs point-of-impact due to the fact that the dot (or any type of sight actually) is not at the centerline of the bore.  I zero my pistol red dots at 25 yards and have to hold an inch or so high at 7 yards to center the group.    Unless you are willing to "dial" the elevation adjustment screw at each change of distance, you are going to have to learn to use Kentucky windage at one of the distances.  

On 2/6/2021 at 8:25 PM, cas said:

Does anyone have one or know which pattern they use? (if they're even using one of the standards) 

Meopta Meosight III, Delta Optical MiniDot HD 25, and Meprolight MicroRDS use a footprint that is very similar to the one used by Docter. The four sockets, one in each corner, are in the exact same places. The holes for the screws, however, are not. This is why Meopta Meosight III, Delta Optical MiniDot HD 25, and Meprolight MicroRDS cannot be mounted on every adapter designed for the Docter/Noblex footprint. Several adapters are designed so that both Docter/Noblex footprint sights and Meopta Meosight III/Delta Optical MiniDot HD 25/Meprolight MicroRDS can be mounted on them (see the images below).

Docter-Sight.jpg?resize=961,960&is-pendi

This info was taken from here:

https://optics-info.com/footprints-on-red-dot-sights/

• 2 months later...

Updating an old thread no one cares about. :D

I was told at some point their "no mount" option started to include a weaver/1913 rail mount.  But basically there was no way to know if the one I'd be bbuying had it or not. So I gave up on the idea.

• 2 years later...
Posted (edited)
On 12/20/2021 at 8:43 PM, cas said:

Updating an old thread no one cares about. :D

Wow... okay, so I'll do a multi year bump about a sight nobody cares about.  I just ran across this and had forgotten all about it.  Nobody REALLY cares about it now.  But, these optics are still out there on the market, so someone might Google them and run across this.

Strange, I said I'd given up on the sight. Yet maybe 6-8 months later I ended up with one. (the price must have gotten too low not to gamble) It came with the Weaver/1913 mount, I liked it initially and I quickly bought two more.  I went from "nope" to owning three. 🙄

So I'm updating this to say, in case you run across one, don't buy it. They work well, but they eat batteries like candy. Even though they're stored in the Off setting, pretty much half the time I go to use them they're dead.  So okay for recreational shooting if you're prepared to put a new battery in it when you do, but I wouldn't trust them for "serious" stuff.  I ended taking two of them off what they were on. The third is on a hunting revolver, that I made sure to put a new battery in the day before the season opener, and made sure I brought extras with me.

Odd that they marketed this sight with their propriety rear sight mount, since it was aimed towards service type weapons. Not a "shake awake" sight, and it gobbles batteries.  Doomed from the start, even if people didn't turn their noses up at the mounting method. 

Edited by cas