Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vintage Powder Question, AC VS WAP

Squirrel45

I am too newish  to reloading  ( 6/7 years) what is difference between Win Autocomp, and Win Action Pistol. I know WAP is now out of production under the Win label, but have read that it is now Ramshot Silhouette ? I am currently using  WAC in 45 and 9. What do you all think are they the same or different ? 

Thanks 

Squirrel 

No.  Only one powder from Western.  They do now own Accurate and Ramshot powders.

"Hodgdon Powder Company is pleased to announce the acquisition of the Ramshot and Accurate smokeless powder brands and the Blackhorn 209 muzzleloader brand from Western Powders. This acquisition is effective October 1, 2020, with the company set to immediately begin shipping these new products to wholesale and retail customers."

Looks like about it.

A lot easier forGeneral Dynamics dba Winchester at St Marks and IMR Valleyfield to let somebody else take over distribution.

The Western/Accurate takeover was just one distributor buying out another, neither actually makes smokeless powder.

I don't know where Alliant makes powder.  Some say Radford, others say Radford is government only.

14 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

I don't know where Alliant makes powder.  Some say Radford, others say Radford is government only.

Alliant makes some of their powders here in the USA, and others manufacture powders for them (in the USA).

Ah, but where in the USA do the old standards of Bullseye, Unique, 2400 and "the Dots" come from?

Most of the Alliant Reloder rifle powders are imported from Sweden and Switzerland.  Re 7 was once made in USA but I would not bet on it now.

The Power Pro powders are "spherical" and if made in USA, are undoubtedly coming out of the St Marks plant that produces Winchester Ball Powder and Hodgdon Spherical powders.

Hodgdon apparently has full control of sourcing, branding and labeling the powders they distribute.

I may not be up to date, but think they are now getting the Clays series from IMR, apparently because ADI changed their lineup and did not care to exactly match the burn rates for Hodgdon's convenience.

They moved 700X and 800X from IMR to industry cahoots procurement from Alliant and therefore label them Hodgdon.

And I cannot keep the 4227 and 4198 shenanigans straight; the brand does not necessarily match the source, though.