Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GP100 hammer bobbing

Fishbreath

On 2/21/2021 at 7:54 PM, Carmoney said:

Good job cutting that hammer!  Do you have a sanding drum for your Dremel?  You will need a sanding drum and some cratex tips to polish it up and make it look really nice.   

I do, it turns out! I'll have to get some cratex bits, though.

Any tips on grit to start with on the sanding drum?

Edited by Fishbreath

• 1 month later...

One match in the books with the bobbed hammer, and I figured I would document my findings.

• After a practice that had me trusting the bobbed hammer and 9lb spring setup, the match was a dumpster fire. Light strikes started early and got worse, to the point where I put in the 14lb factory hammer spring after three stages.
  • That turned all notchy, and locked up entirely on the last stage of the day, to the point that I had to thumb the hammer back to free it.
  • Postmortem analysis:
    • Despite looking identical to the naked eye, some combination of the hammer and hammer dog are fit to the gun. Putting the stock hammer's dog into the bobbed hammer and vice versa yielded two hammers that didn't work at all. For the sake of establishing a reliable baseline, I'm back to the 10lb spring and the stock hammer.
    • I'm not sure if it's GP100s in general, the Super GP100 in particular, or this Super GP100 specifically, but it really wants heavy lubrication. The trigger starts to get notchy if things dry out. Two spots in particular that made a big difference are the mainspring strut pocket and the DA sear on the hammer. Some Slide Glide Lite seems to be doing the trick better than the Lucas gun grease I was using previously, but we'll see how it stands up to a week of dry fire and a match.

19 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

One match in the books with the bobbed hammer, and I figured I would document my findings.

• After a practice that had me trusting the bobbed hammer and 9lb spring setup, the match was a dumpster fire. Light strikes started early and got worse, to the point where I put in the 14lb factory hammer spring after three stages.
  • That turned all notchy, and locked up entirely on the last stage of the day, to the point that I had to thumb the hammer back to free it.
  • Postmortem analysis:
    • Despite looking identical to the naked eye, some combination of the hammer and hammer dog are fit to the gun. Putting the stock hammer's dog into the bobbed hammer and vice versa yielded two hammers that didn't work at all. For the sake of establishing a reliable baseline, I'm back to the 10lb spring and the stock hammer.
    • I'm not sure if it's GP100s in general, the Super GP100 in particular, or this Super GP100 specifically, but it really wants heavy lubrication. The trigger starts to get notchy if things dry out. Two spots in particular that made a big difference are the mainspring strut pocket and the DA sear on the hammer. Some Slide Glide Lite seems to be doing the trick better than the Lucas gun grease I was using previously, but we'll see how it stands up to a week of dry fire and a match.

Good information, appreciated. Sorry about the issues.

Exactly. Better to iron all this out before major matches. (That's in part why my major match calendar looks pretty back-loaded this year.)

Anyway, I hope to come back to the bobbed hammer at some point.

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, tpsmith345 said:

I know it has been a while since this thread was started, I bought a GP 100 that had the hammer bobbed and I would like to restore it to original condition. Where can I buy a hammer and what should I expect to pay? I cannot find one anywhere? 

Your best option is to send it back to Ruger, unfortunately most of the hammers are fitted especially the early GP100's from the 1980's.

I've actually had good luck dropping in used hammers from Numrich or Ebay—my main match gun has another gun's hammer in it. Across maybe five or six I've bought, I don't see much evidence of factory fitting to the hammers themselves.

The part that 100% must be fit to a particular gun is the hammer dog, and those are cheap and readily available on Numrich as well.