Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCI X-rail still a thing?

Jeffreyliu838

RCI changed their name to Roth Performance a few years back, which might account for the difficulty in finding information about them. They're definitely still around, selling parts and doing custom work. There's a blurb on their website that says that they've retired the add-on XRAIL, but are still doing custom builds with included XRAIL systems... but the XRAIL custom build is also marked as being discontinued on the website, so who knows. I've had them do some shotgun work before, and they were always very responsive to communication - you could probably call/email them to ask about it.

They do good work in general, and I'm sure the XRAIL was a decent product, but I also wouldn't be terribly surprised if it actually has been completely discontinued. It wasn't a bad solution for Open shotguns when Mark developed it, but since then, there's been a major shift towards box-fed shotguns - not only are there more models available on the market than there used to be, but custom shops have made a lot of progress in figuring out how to tune them for competition. Given how complex the mechanism was, I'm sure that an XRAIL wasn't cheap to produce, and it was catered to a very specific niche market; with Veprs, VR-80s, and the like becoming more and more dominant in that market, it was probably just a matter of time before it wasn't cost-effective.

I think the XRAIL went for around 700 bucks? I have a Versamax and I'm trying to dip my toes into Open 3gun... Maybe I should just get it over with and get a Dissident Arms, but if you can top a Versamax off with 20+ rounds, I'm not sure there's much of an advantage at normal matches. 

• 4 weeks later...

For the past couple years, I've shot with a guy who HAD an XRAIL, and for him (my only experience with it) it was garbage.  Locked up and either double fed or refused to feed, constantly - non-stop jams.  I say HAD because he threw it out mid match one time.  Watched him deal with it for 2 years every month, and last year he just tossed it (it was hilarious).  

When it worked, it was a sweet piece of shotgun technology, but unfortunately that was rather rare.

If I remember right, it was pretty heavy when loaded too.

Edited by Snausages32

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/28/2021 at 12:30 AM, Jeffreyliu838 said:

Haven't been able to dig up anything about it. Was it a piece of s#!t or something? I want one for my versamax. Thanks. 

You still wanting one? I am about to list mine for sale. I have one for the Mossberg 930, but you can still get the adapters from Roth. I had issues with mine when I first got it. But emailed RCI and Mark called me and walked me through a few things. I had cleaned it and put it back together wrong. Mine has run like a sewing machine since. Only reason I am selling it is that I am going to switch to 2gun (rifle / pistol) matches now. 

IMG_1878.JPG