Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Sync Practiscore Competitor App Over WiFi During Match?

Michael303

I'm hoping someone can tell me how to sync the Practiscore Competitor app for live updates when I'm at a match.  Should the scoring devices show up in the sync screen if we're on the same wifi?  Do I have to get a sync code off of one of the scoring devices?  I must be getting old because I've poked around and I'm not sure where to start but I'm not alone because I've talked to a couple others at my club and they didn't know either.

Any help is appreciated.

8 hours ago, Michael303 said:

I'm hoping someone can tell me how to sync the Practiscore Competitor app for live updates when I'm at a match.  Should the scoring devices show up in the sync screen if we're on the same wifi?  Do I have to get a sync code off of one of the scoring devices?  I must be getting old because I've poked around and I'm not sure where to start but I'm not alone because I've talked to a couple others at my club and they didn't know either.

Any help is appreciated.

The club has to allow open connections to their WiFi network for you (or anyone) to connect and sync scores to your own tablet.

We used to run an open network and allow anyone to sync scores during matches...  As more people started using PractiScore Competitor during matches, it put a load on our network and started slowing it down...  Sort of a DOS (denial of service) attack, but not malicious.

Now all of our matches have a secure network password, so no one can access the match scores during a match...  However...  I do upload the scores to PractiScore.com about once an hour during large matches...  That way shooters can grab their scores without overloading our network.

32 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

As more people started using PractiScore Competitor during matches, it put a load on our network and started slowing it down...  

Thanks for the info.  Hopefully it won't be much of an issue at most of the matches I go to. I've never seen anyone else using it.

When one of the tablets uploads to Practiscore does it sync and upload all the scores by chance?

45 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

We used to run an open network and allow anyone to sync scores during matches...  As more people started using PractiScore Competitor during matches, it put a load on our network and started slowing it down...  Sort of a DOS (denial of service) attack, but not malicious.

Did that slowed down the wifi or also the PractiScore app and tablets used at stages?

I've seen in Florida that a spare tablet been put on a separate public wifi and updated periodically from the private network.

9 minutes ago, Michael303 said:

When one of the tablets uploads to Practiscore does it sync and upload all the scores by chance?

The way PractiScore app is designed is that it works offline and doesn't need internet or even a local wifi access, except during sync.

So, the tablets don't upload to PractiScore website on their own. Uploading results to the PractiScore website, as well as syncing and puling updated scores both are manual steps usually completed by the match stats officer or an MD.

2 hours ago, euxx said:

The way PractiScore app is designed is that it works offline and doesn't need internet or even a local wifi access, except during sync.

So, the tablets don't upload to PractiScore website on their own. Uploading results to the PractiScore website, as well as syncing and puling updated scores both are manual steps usually completed by the match stats officer or an MD.

Thanks for the additional info.

18 hours ago, euxx said:

Did that slowed down the wifi or also the PractiScore app and tablets used at stages?

I've seen in Florida that a spare tablet been put on a separate public wifi and updated periodically from the private network.

It slowed down the WiFi connection and some of the scoring tablets dropped off the network...  The first time it happened was during one of our large Level II matches, so I didn't really have time to analyze what was going on...  It was especially bad at the end of the match...  Everyone was trying to check their scores and I was still trying to pull all the match scores for the awards ceremony.

Since then we have upgraded our tablets...  Purchased a better router and mounted it in a better/higher spot on a flag pole...  Part of my thinking on that was because PractiScore now sends more data per person...  Not sure if it is significant traffic wise...  Just sort of future proofing.

Per your second statement...  We have seven bays in a row at the back of our range...  For large USPSA and SCSA level II matches we add an addition range that's about 300 yards away...  I usually plug in a small travel router just for that range so I can grab the scores throughout the match...  The master tablet syncs automatically to the second network so I can grab the scores...  Then I upload the scores to my phone and upload them to PractiScore.com.

34 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

It slowed down the WiFi connection and some of the scoring tablets dropped off the network...  The first time it happened was during one of our large Level II matches, so I didn't really have time to analyze what was going on...  It was especially bad at the end of the match...  Everyone was trying to check their scores and I was still trying to pull all the match scores for the awards ceremony.

Sounds like that was related to the wifi router capacity. You may need one that is capable of handling 200..300 client connections. Also some tweaking could be done on wifi router to assign static IPs to the scoring tablets and dynamic ones to everyone else (no one has time for that at the match). Or use a separate router for everyone else in the tent area. Some hi-end routers also allow to create separated out guest networks and manage service quality. Though all would require someone with more networking expertise.

Not sure if there is really much data per-competitor being sent.

On 1/21/2021 at 4:06 PM, euxx said:

Also some tweaking could be done on wifi router to assign static IPs to the scoring tablets and dynamic ones to everyone else.

Why didn't I think of that????

Thanks for the idea.

AD

Our 5 scoring tablets are now set up with static IP's as are the Master tablets.

When I logged into the router to see the addresses it was pretty much an ugly mess and my "troublesome" tablet was sitting at "247".

Now they're all set at the front of the pack with manageable addresses.

And I do believe I'll reboot that router once a month, just for good measure.

It's hard to get good help around our stats shack, that's for sure!

AD